newbie here I am having a pellet insert installed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

davem 1436

Dec 12, 2020
Quakertown pa
Can I install a 4 in pellet liner in the type b vent that goes up my chimney? the installers are trying to charge me a fortune to install a new chimney saying my vent is only 5 inches, but I measured and it is 6 inside diameter. Also is the outside air vent better or not needed?

I believe you can? Are they proposing to pull the gas unit entirely out and putting a ZC box in and all new piping to the top or just minor demo and using the existing firebox to mount the insert?

Reactions: Ssyko
I removed the old gas unit. The shell is still in there. The vent pipe is also still there. They want to vent it out the back which looks really stupid since I have a chimney going up. They told me $2000 to remove the old vent and install a new vent since it was not 6 in pipe. But it is

Attachments

• 20201212_152921.jpg
    20201212_152921.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 89
That looks like a class A insulated chimney! If it is just put
a reducer on it and you are good to go. If it isn't I just run a
liner up it as long as it were in good shape

Davem,
What Make and Model insert are they proposing to put in? Maybe there piping theory makes it easier to clean? We install Harmans in that configuration all the time. Once the mounting shell is mounted and flex liner is hooked to it you just pull stove out on the rails and dont have to mess with the pipe. The stove seals to the pipe/frame with a docking gasket. No fussing with pipe connections. If we have a flue to the top we always go that route

We went with the trekker quadro fire. Due to the size of our fireplace opening. This would look and fit the best, without the not so good looking extensions.

I just looked it up. The only reason I could see for the horizontal install would be for the ease of cleaning the flue. It would be easier to brush horizontal from outside and the short vertical thru the fan housing with the fan out. Looks to me you would have to brush down from the top with this stove in a vertical install? Or are there guys pulling the fan and going thru the 2 built in 45's and going up 2 stories from the bottom?