Newbie needing some install info .... please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sc00ter079

Dec 3, 2016
Seven mile
I have never installed a insert before so I was wondering if you all could help me figure out a few things. I was given this old osburn insert over the winter and I'd like to get it out of my garage and finally installed. I included some illustrations out of the manual that osburn sent me. Basically I just need to know what I need to goon it all up and where is the best place to order the parts without breaking the bank. Thank you in advance and if you need any more info I can include more pages out of the manual. 669ea1e8a347be03b7333784afb369f7.jpg3c03d05d107cdfdf8e88234dcec0612b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the site, You better get a paper and pencil ready for all the information coming your way. Some basic information will be needed. How tall is the chimney, what is the Flue opening size up through the chimney, does it have the orange colored Clay tiles, Is the damper in the fireplace box still there? is the chimney on the outside of the house or inside the house?

Welcome to the site, You better get a paper and pencil ready for all the information coming your way. Some basic information will be needed. How tall is the chimney, what is the Flue opening size up through the chimney, does it have the orange colored Clay tiles, Is the damper in the fireplace box still there? is the chimney on the outside of the house or inside the house?

Not sure of the exact height I'll have to measure this weekend. Opening size is 10" if I remember right. It actually has a flush stainless liner from top to bottom. When we bought the house there was some damage so the owner payed to have the liner installed. Yes the damper is in the fire box but I think I could remove some what easily. The chimney is a typical brick chimney on a exterior wall.

I didn't realize you had an existing Stainless Liner already installed in the chimney, which is required, since the flue was damaged. The insert that you are installing looks like it has a 7" exhaust outlet, that would typically be the size of liner you would need to use. The 7" liner would go from the insert exhaust, through the damper area (damper and frame would have to be removed or cut out to accommodate the liner) and up through the flue and terminate at the top of the chimney, with insulation around the liner.

By code you need to have the required clearances to combustibles, from the outside chimney structure. That would mean you need 1" clearance from the house combustibles and the outside chimney structure. If you have that clearance then you could just use the liner, although insulation will give you additional draft and reduce creosote.

If you have the clearance to combustibles, you "could" use the 10" existing Stainless liner, but would have to somehow be able to have a positive connection from the 7" insert outlet to the 10" pipe. Maybe someone here on the site has done it before or knows if it could even be done. Keep in mind that the 10" liner is larger than needed and if you did use it, the draft would be slower and could create additional creosote.

Reactions: bholler
I didn't realize you had an existing Stainless Liner already installed in the chimney, which is required, since the flue was damaged. The insert that you are installing looks like it has a 7" exhaust outlet, that would typically be the size of liner you would need to use. The 7" liner would go from the insert exhaust, through the damper area (damper and frame would have to be removed or cut out to accommodate the liner) and up through the flue and terminate at the top of the chimney, with insulation around the liner.

By code you need to have the required clearances to combustibles, from the outside chimney structure. That would mean you need 1" clearance from the house combustibles and the outside chimney structure. If you have that clearance then you could just use the liner, although insulation will give you additional draft and reduce creosote.

If you have the clearance to combustibles, you "could" use the 10" existing Stainless liner, but would have to somehow be able to have a positive connection from the 7" insert outlet to the 10" pipe. Maybe someone here on the site has done it before or knows if it could even be done. Keep in mind that the 10" liner is larger than needed and if you did use it, the draft would be slower and could create additional creosote.

That was my concern with using the existing liner. My plan was to run a new liner. What is the best place to order supplies and best way to attach the liner at the top of the chimney?

To attach the liner at the top of the chimney use a "Top Plate", that is a component that that will cover the flue opening on the top of the chimney, and there is a center hole where the liner goes thru and a clamp holds the liner in place. Usually if you are getting a liner kit, that would be part of the kit.

There are a number of on line internet sites that you can purchase from, and have free shipping. One that advertises here is Rockford Chimney supply, I've use them because they are local to me, and seem to have quick delivery. If you need an installer go to csia.org and put in your zip code, and a list of certified chimney sweeps in your area will be listed.