Newbie question - Raise the height of the fireplace opening?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

maxine1234

Jan 22, 2023
Long Beach
Hi, I am a newbie here. Our new house has a wood burning fireplace fitted with some gas logs. Opening of our fireplace is 36" (width) x 24" (height). The firebox and the hearth are at the same level which is about 4" from the floor. We want to achieve a more linear look in the opening to make it 36" x 18". Our original plan was to replace the gas logs with a linear gas fireplace. However, the contractor said he can achieve a similar linear look by just raising the outside opening of the fireplace by another 6 inches (which will make it 10" off the floor) without altering/raising the bottom of the firebox. I am unsure of this approach since the gas logs will then be sitting lower and enclosed somewhat inside. I am wondering is this per code and will this cause a problem in burning of the gas logs?

Thanks for your help in advance.