Newbie question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Eric C.

Dec 20, 2018
Mass
Hello all,
I’m fairly new to pellet stoves. Recently purchased a Harman Accentra-2 pellet stove. Been burning for about 3 months and it’s great. My question is it came with a small piece of cast iron that looks like it could fit over the burn pot and is called a flame guide. What is the proper way to use this? Is it meant to just sit on top of the burn pot during operation. I tried it once and the flame was not great compared to without it.

Thanks,
Eric

That's the flame guide. It sits on top of the burn pot. It should be kept in place when the stove is running.

Reactions: Eric C.
So I gave it another go and it just doesn’t sit right. It has grooves on the underside that look like it should sit on top of the sides on the burn pot but is not long enough to do that. It just loosely sits in the burn pot and kinda gets in the way of the pellets coming from auger. Am I using this wrong? Also is it ok to not use it? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 92F8C664-21C9-4EEA-B674-F45C62F0C249.jpeg
    92F8C664-21C9-4EEA-B674-F45C62F0C249.jpeg
    176.8 KB · Views: 189
  • 3B56FD0E-9BF5-4A14-AD14-618E44B9F8C3.jpeg
    3B56FD0E-9BF5-4A14-AD14-618E44B9F8C3.jpeg
    168.5 KB · Views: 221
  • F7B39728-381B-4DCD-AC81-CDE156EB5973.jpeg
    F7B39728-381B-4DCD-AC81-CDE156EB5973.jpeg
    120.3 KB · Views: 171
Thats bad.It is either eroded away,a lot,or wrong,or possibly someone put a different burn pot in stove.You can measure the lip it sits on,and one of us can measure ours.Measure the lip at the back.

what exactly does the flame guide do, obviously guide the flame, but what other benefits is there to using one or not? As far as I can tell it runs great without it. Flame does seem a little high... I’m just curious...

Rolls the flame forward a bit,as it is not desired to have the flame running right up against the steel back plate of the stove,it can damage it.Have also been told helps with the glass air wash.It is considered a wear item.

Rolls the flame forward a bit,as it is not desired to have the flame running right up against the steel back plate of the stove,it can damage it.Have also been told helps with the glass air wash.It is considered a wear item.
Thanks for the info. Is it meant to sit on top of side rails so there’s a gap between the guide and the burn pot?

Yep,sits on top,butts against the rear plate,you cannot see auger,when all is proper.(when there is flame)

Last edited:
Something's goofy. Here's how it should look sitting on top of the rails.

flame_guide_position.jpg

These pics helped me a lot, thanks guys! I think I’m just not seating it properly. Might need to clean behind the burn pot a little better to get it in there. Thanks again...

Reactions: jackman
These pics helped me a lot, thanks guys! I think I’m just not seating it properly. Might need to clean behind the burn pot a little better to get it in there. Thanks again...
Get it proper.They are great stoves,they really do not have the high output advertised,but are easy to clean and maintain,and quiet,as far as pellet stoves go.Stay warm!