Newbie to wood stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sparkygreen

Jan 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
Hey guys!!! I’m new to this forum and wood burning in general. I recently got an old cast iron stove to burn some scrap wood in at one of our apartments that is under construction. We tested the stove for leaks as well as the chimney and everything looked good. Started slow, did a couple chimney sweeping logs once the fire got hot and all seems well. My question is: We have more wood then we thought we did and I am trying to burn it as FAST AS POSSIBLE. if I open the flue damper and door damper all the way and really get it going, is that going to cause any damage and/or increase chance of chimney fire? Oil WAS used in home before we bought it so it’s just a brick and mortar chimney. Getting very good draft in it too.

Hey guys!!! I’m new to this forum and wood burning in general. I recently got an old cast iron stove to burn some scrap wood in at one of our apartments that is under construction. We tested the stove for leaks as well as the chimney and everything looked good. Started slow, did a couple chimney sweeping logs once the fire got hot and all seems well. My question is: We have more wood then we thought we did and I am trying to burn it as FAST AS POSSIBLE. if I open the flue damper and door damper all the way and really get it going, is that going to cause any damage and/or increase chance of chimney fire? Oil WAS used in home before we bought it so it’s just a brick and mortar chimney. Getting very good draft in it too.
here are some pics of the stove.

Attachments

• 52C81C06-543C-4763-8AB7-9A5DE68C2544.jpeg
    52C81C06-543C-4763-8AB7-9A5DE68C2544.jpeg
    125.5 KB · Views: 197
  • 05587617-42C7-4251-BDD1-81D9C29E011C.jpeg
    05587617-42C7-4251-BDD1-81D9C29E011C.jpeg
    134.5 KB · Views: 185
Welcome. That is a steel stove, looks homemade. The risk of a chimney fire is low based on the description of how you are burning. however, that doesn't eliminate any risk if the chimney is unsound or in direct contact with structural wood. That should be checked out by a qualified sweep. If there is no liner and the mortar is poor then this could be risky. The metal tape should not be on the pipe joints. Use 3 screws per joint instead.

As an alternative, have you looked into local options for recycling the wood waste?

Thanks for the info. We actually had to cut 2 ceiling joists on 1st floor that were right against the chimney. It looks like a fire may have already happened at some point. And yes we did look into some recycling options but the wood path we have would need to be cleaned of all nails and or mortar. I am trying to find someone in the rural area of our town that would let me use their outdoor fire pit. It is against city code where I am living.

Uhmmm....Yeah, you jack that little fella full of old dried wood and let it rip wide open you most certainly run the risk of a flue fire. Not to mention you may melt the stove down with the stone and brick laying on top of it. Just looking at the photos I'd say my odds would be pretty good if I bet you that the chimney is at minimum damaged and worst, most likely completely unlined and damaged. You're literally playing with fire. Be careful.

I don't know where you are in PA but there are probably lots of folks that would like to have wood for free to burn in an outdoor fire pit maybe??

In northeast PA area. Mostly everyone in rural area has wood of their own they burn. Outdoor fire pits are mainly used for cardboard and paper disposal rather than for “pleasure”. I’m not sure what to look for in a chimney to say it “compromised” or functional. The entire chimney is visible and after a thorough visual inspection I have been hitting it with a FLIR IR gun to see if I missed any leaks. So far so good. I’m sure if I had any exfiltration from the chimney, the IR gun would show it. Right?

In northeast PA area. Mostly everyone in rural area has wood of their own they burn. Outdoor fire pits are mainly used for cardboard and paper disposal rather than for “pleasure”. I’m not sure what to look for in a chimney to say it “compromised” or functional. The entire chimney is visible and after a thorough visual inspection I have been hitting it with a FLIR IR gun to see if I missed any leaks. So far so good. I’m sure if I had any exfiltration from the chimney, the IR gun would show it. Right?

lined or unlined?

Without a proper liner in the chimney this is risky business.