Newbie Vermont Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thumper

Hearth Supporter
Oct 28, 2009
Ohio
I have been reading a bunch of posts on this forum and it has been really helpful. I am in the process of installing a wood burning stove. I first started the project when I ran across a "No Name" brand stove for free. I believe it is called a step stove and it had no markings on it at all, looks like someone may have built it in there garage. Anyway I started the project thinking I would use this stove in my living room where an existing pre-fab fireplace was installed. I ripped out the fireplace insert and started to extend the stone from the front of the fireplace out to protect the sub floor. However, I started to read in this form about R values and referring to the owners manual (which I dont have) so I stopped for a week to research what I needed to do. After a few visits to some stores that sold new stoves I figured there was no way I was going to spend $4,000 for a new one and to have it installed. At the same time a friend of mine said he was selling his Vermont Castings 1987 Defiant Encore with catalytic combuster which looks like new. He only used it for 6 years but he wants $600 for it.

Is this a good deal for a used stove? I estimated replacing the combuster will costs me around $200, but the nice thing is he is giving me all the heat shields, porcelin coated stove pipe and a few other items. Most importantly I now have a manual to refer to for installing it.

Thanks for any help you can provide....sorry for the long story!

Im sure I will have more questions if I move forward with this project.

For a Defiant in good shape, with the extras I call it a great deal, your mileage may vary.

$600 for a 1987 VC does not sound like a great deal to me, not even a good deal! I wouldn't pay $600 for any VC stove, let alone a 22 y/o model that has a questionable track record, possibly needs a new $200+ cat, and maybe might even need other hidden repair$! With the 30% tax credit available today, I'd go with a new stove over that thing in a heartbeat!

Wet1 said:
$600 for a 1987 VC does not sound like a great deal to me, not even a good deal! I wouldn't pay $600 for any VC stove, let alone a 22 y/o model that has a questionable track record, possibly needs a new $200+ cat, and maybe might even need other hidden repair$! With the 30% tax credit available today, I'd go with a new stove over that thing in a heartbeat!

Read the original post. He clearly states he is not buying a new stove. Considering the price of a hearth, pipe, and sheilds, the stove is basicaly free. Since I heated solely with a defiant for many years, in my opinion, that is a good deal.

Here is what I currently have in my living room. After some research it almost looks like a Fisher but no markings whatsoever on it. I would love to get a new stove but it is not in the budget this year. Maybe an upgrade in the near future. I thought the tax credit would be a good deal but its only 30% of the stove and would not include the installation, at least that is how one of the stores explained it to me.

Do you guys know what kind of stove this is?

Attachments

• Newbie Vermont Wood Stove
    1028091921.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 320
My understanding is that the tax credit includes installation.

Your old steptop looks to be in fairly good condition. If it has a baffle, it could be ok for a season especially if money is tight. Does it take a 6" or 8" flue? Did you check on the back for a UL label?

It is in pretty good condition but not sure where a baffle would be located. There is not a whole lot to it other than the bricks inside. It is an 8" Flue and I do not see any labels on this thing at all. I looked all over with a bright light and wiped the whole thing down. Since I cannot find a manual for it im nevous about how much floor protection I need for it.

Im not looking to cut any corners by any means I just dont have 3 to 4 thousand in my pocket. Im trying to stay right around 1 thousand for everything.

I had two Encores and wouldn't recommend them unless you are very careful with it and watch it closely. For about the same money after the tax credit, you could be into an Englander from Home Depot or Lowes. Many here successfully burn VC cats; I failed miserably with both of them and sold 2 400+ pound warped pieces of cast iron at scrap price.

Holy Cow. I grew up around an old wood burning stove and did not know one of these things could ever be damaged by heat. Is it the catalytic combuster that was troublesome?

It wasn't the combustor for me. It is very easy to over fire them especially when you are pushing them 24/7 October through May while doing all the other things you do. After you over fire them, it gets really ugly. Those cast iron parts are very expensive. Again, other folks here have had much better luck than we did with them.

Had to chime in here...your insert looks like one i have as my fireplace insert...mine is made by "Kodiak" in Alaska i think...i have tried doing searches on it but think they have went out of business but you can still find pics of the stoves..no catalatic converter in them,only firebricks...i use mine during the winter and it saved my butt when i was without power for three days a couple years ago as could not use my outside wood furnace without electric...i use my insert more than not and it heats the 1900 sq; ft house just fine..i also got a blower that goes on the bottom of mine but hardly use it as it gets to hot unless its really cold out like around 0......
mine is smaller than the fireplace opening so there is a guess its called shroud around it...the opening for the pipe just goes into the fireplace chimney...no problems at all...and fairly easy on wood.......hope this helps some......

Status
Not open for further replies.