Newbie wants to make new insert most efficient.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

donatello

Hearth Supporter
Nov 8, 2007
Connecticut
Hey all, I am presently installing a PACIFIC ENERGY fireplace insert. It's the PACIFIC model (midsize). In the instructions, there is a mention of combustion air supply - outside air (via ash cleanout - although my clean-out goes to unfinished basement) or room air (am instructed to NOT seal around the fireplace surround). Neither of these seems very efficient to me... I want to make this as efficient as reasonably possible. I would think that an intake air pipe going up the inside of the chimney with a cap on top (so the rain/snow wouldn't get in) would make this MUCH more efficient. I just think about air being sucked out of the room,causing drafts. Though not anywhere near that of an open fireplace, but a draft non-the-less... Any thoughts?

You may want to search around the site and wiki for "outside air kit". I know this topic comes up about as much as the "which stove is best" topic, so there should be hundreds of posts on each.

donatello said:
Hey all, I am presently installing a PACIFIC ENERGY fireplace insert. It's the PACIFIC model (midsize). In the instructions, there is a mention of combustion air supply - outside air (via ash cleanout - although my clean-out goes to unfinished basement) or room air (am instructed to NOT seal around the fireplace surround). Neither of these seems very efficient to me... I want to make this as efficient as reasonably possible. I would think that an intake air pipe going up the inside of the chimney with a cap on top (so the rain/snow wouldn't get in) would make this MUCH more efficient. I just think about air being sucked out of the room,causing drafts. Though not anywhere near that of an open fireplace, but a draft non-the-less... Any thoughts?

I believe if you are not using the OAK, the insert will draw combustion air through the front of the surround. That's why it shouldn't be sealed off, and why you would pop out the "plug" on the side of the stove. Your chimney should be blocked off at the damper to prevent inside air from going up the flue, which is different from sealing off at the surround. Also I don't think it's such a good idea to have the intake air pipe being run up the chimney. You could duct the combustion air from the back of the stove to the unfinished basement, I would think, so as not to have that air coming into the living space upstairs.

If you have an ash pit from the fireplace in the basement, remove the plate in the fireplace and open the ash clean out door in the basement and draw the combustion air from the basement. That is how I set up the Vista and it works great. Be sure you have the block off plate intalled in the chimney to keep heat in. I also layered 3 inches of kaowool on the top and 2 sides of mine to keep more heat in the stove area. This has definitely helped put more heat out into the room.

From most accounts here, using air from outside the house does not work so well. There is an article somewhere that describes why. (might be at woodheat.org).

Status
Not open for further replies.