Newbie with cost estimate q's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canope

Hi members. This is my first post. It is going to be a very ignorant one at that. I am looking for a wood stove, probably willing to spend about $1,000. Nothing fancy at all, I just want supplemental heat and a bit of ambiance. I do not have a chimney nor anything fire related. I live in a small 900 sq ranch type house, studded walls, aluminum siding, 8 foot high ceilings with a moderatly pitched fiberglass/tar shingled roof.

Let's say I have the stove sitting here. What would the costs be for the cheapest install? I will need everything as I am starting from scratch. Could I get away with a few hundreds or more likely thousands? Is class A venting cheaper than masonry? I do not need the stove to be worth more than my house and I can't get a grip on whether this can be done with my pocketbook.

I did read pages up front and at the end. I am really lost but look forward to a good beginning.

Thank you,
Thomas.

Welcome Thomas, there are a few stoves for under $1000 for a small place that would work. A small Napoleon, Drolet or maybe an Englander 13NC would work. Or if you can find a nice used small Jotul or Morso, that would be sweet. The installation will very likely cost as much as the stove unless you do it yourself. Trying to keep costs down is understandable, but this is one place where safety must be the first concern.

If you have the ability to install everything yourself, you'll save tons.

I have a similar setup as what you describe. My ranch is 960 sq ft and I have my stove in the living room attached to a class A chimney that goes straight up through the roof. These were last years prices:

Stove: Englander 13NC $500

Single wall pipe from stove to chimney support box: $20

Chimney Kit and three sections of 36" Class A pipe: $460

Hearth pad (that I built myself): Materials were around $125 - $150

Metal pail to clean out ashes: $12

Fireplace/Stove tools: $25

So roughly $1167 for my setup. Of course you still have to get wood to burn.

This stove and setup work perfectly for us. More than enough heat (will blow you out of the house if you let it), yet easy to control and operate.

Thats a great list Tfin. Should give a good idea of what it is gonna take. Now, in all fairness, at this time of year you will probably not find the 13NC for $500 (maybe you can), but that is a great choice in an economical stove. BG also hit on some good players as well.

BUT>>>If you expect to burn wood for the up coming winter, better get your wood supply locked in and delivered asap. Find someone that already has it split (seasoned would be the best) and get'er stacked in the sun and wind. DO IT NOW! You can thank me later. You have a few months to get the stove installed, but your already behind the 8 ball with firewood.

Canope said:
Hi members. This is my first post. It is going to be a very ignorant one at that.

I wouldn't worry about it, most of mine still are too. Welcome! And have fun stove shopping. Now go find yerself some wood! :cheese: Rick

Tfin said:

Warm & toasty all Winter...priceless.

fossil said:
Tfin said:

Warm & toasty all Winter...priceless.

Perfect ending! ;-)

Canope said:
Hi members. This is my first post. It is going to be a very ignorant one at that. I am looking for a wood stove, probably willing to spend about $1,000. Nothing fancy at all, I just want supplemental heat and a bit of ambiance. I do not have a chimney nor anything fire related. I live in a small 900 sq ranch type house, studded walls, aluminum siding, 8 foot high ceilings with a moderatly pitched fiberglass/tar shingled roof.

Let's say I have the stove sitting here. What would the costs be for the cheapest install? I will need everything as I am starting from scratch. Could I get away with a few hundreds or more likely thousands? Is class A venting cheaper than masonry? I do not need the stove to be worth more than my house and I can't get a grip on whether this can be done with my pocketbook.

I did read pages up front and at the end. I am really lost but look forward to a good beginning.

Thank you,
Thomas.

I don't know enough to know whether the job would be more complicated with your house than with mine, but it cost me about $3,300 to have a double-walled stainless lined chimney pipe put in my house.

Don't forget you will need a hearth of some kind put in for the stove to sit on.

Everybody here will emphatically second the comment that if you think you're going to burn this winter, GET YOUR WOOD YESTERDAY. If some dealer tells you he's got seasoned wood, ask him precisely how it was seasoned and for how long before you buy. Most firewood advertised as "seasoned" isn't. It just means it wasn't cut down last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.