Newbie with Newbie questions.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nlucci

Nov 15, 2017
Rochester, NY
Hello All!

I was poking around the FAQ looking for a post that best answers my questions and didnt see one so I hope its ok if I post them here.

I just bought an old (1890) farmhouse. The previous owner had a oil furnace in the basement but converted to 90+% efficient LP. We really dont like the idea of the LP cost and want to install a wood burning stove. The house has from what I can figure a 8x12 clay lined brick chimney that goes up through the center of the house through the low pitched attic and out the ridge of the roof. Right now there is a 6" ss liner installed for the oil furnace which I know I need to remove to line for wood.

One question is since the chimney is a dead straight shot from basement to roof would I be better using sections of ss pipe or should I still consider a flex ss liner?

Also would the sections need to be insulated since the chimney is not on an outside wall?

Thanks in advance for reading. Great forum!

Hello All!

I was poking around the FAQ looking for a post that best answers my questions and didnt see one so I hope its ok if I post them here.

I just bought an old (1890) farmhouse. The previous owner had a oil furnace in the basement but converted to 90+% efficient LP. We really dont like the idea of the LP cost and want to install a wood burning stove. The house has from what I can figure a 8x12 clay lined brick chimney that goes up through the center of the house through the low pitched attic and out the ridge of the roof. Right now there is a 6" ss liner installed for the oil furnace which I know I need to remove to line for wood.

One question is since the chimney is a dead straight shot from basement to roof would I be better using sections of ss pipe or should I still consider a flex ss liner?

Also would the sections need to be insulated since the chimney is not on an outside wall?

Thanks in advance for reading. Great forum!

Congratulations on the house purchase! It's so cool the history you guys have back east with the older buildings and houses and such.

As far as your questions...I would use a flex liner in your situation. Seems like it would be alot easier to work with. As far as insulated or not. Do you have air space on all 4 side of your chimney all the way up? If the answer is no then insulated I believe is required. Some others can chime in on the required air space. In my area it's 2" I believe.

If it’s a SS liner, then it should be ok for wood as well.

Double wall insulated rigid is already insulated, and easy to run with sections, each pop riveted together. Did a 27' run here myself, no issues. Easier cleaning and better draft IMO. A bit sturdier also, and of course a bit more expensive. Worth the price for me.

Reactions: Squisher
Whatever @bholler says, do that unless you have a really really good reason not to.

Fwiw @webby3650 is no slouch neither.

Yes it should be insulated but the liner you have will probably work.

hope you arent planning on replacing the LP equipment. There are days you'll need it as a supplement and more importantly, when youre ready to sell your home, buyers arent going to share your wood enthusiasm. off topic, ....Best of luck in your new home!!

hope you arent planning on replacing the LP equipment. There are days you'll need it as a supplement and more importantly, when youre ready to sell your home, buyers arent going to share your wood enthusiasm. off topic, ....Best of luck in your new home!!

I think that's a good point. I also live in Rochester NY and it seems most people around here only care about natural gas.

Great advice thanks!

I say its a ss liner buy I am guessing that because it was used for oil. It is not insulated so it would require me to remove it and insulated it and put it back in. I would kind of like to use straight pipe because I have read that you can clean it easier by getting the flue temp up and avoid chimney fires. I had a chimney fire in the last house and it destroyed the clay liner and we had to get it lined. It never works as well again.

I'm actually outside of Roch and there is no natural gas where we are. Anyone moving out here has to have the mentality that its oil, propane, electric, or wood. I'll leave the LP in place but just personally find it difficult to live in a house without the scent of burning wood.

The other option I have is leave the liner in the chimney for the future if someone wants to use oil, and go out the wall and up the back of the house with ss pipe. I dont like that look as much but I guess I could live with it...

Thanks for all the opinions! Great group here.