Newbie Wood Stove Owner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Badride

Jan 21, 2020
Flowery Branch
Bought a house that was built in 1986 and it came with this Appalachian stove (looks like maybe a production number stamped on the front 0020407). Hoping to learn more about it and how to use it or what not to do with it. Any info is greatly appreciated and I look forward to being around for awhile. Not many good forums in use anymore, everything has seem to gone the social media route.

Attachments

• 18A9672F-261C-4C02-9CA0-7A4658AD473B.png
    18A9672F-261C-4C02-9CA0-7A4658AD473B.png
    717.6 KB · Views: 111
That looks like an oldie. Was the chimney and stove connection inspected when buying the house? Do you know if there is a stainless liner on the insert?

That looks like an oldie. Was the chimney and stove connection inspected when buying the house? Do you know if there is a stainless liner on the insert?

I had a a general inspection of the house but nothing specific to the fireplace. We bought the house to renovate before moving in.

I would have the chimney cleaned and inspected by a certified sweep before burning too long. A lot of these old installations are slammers with no liner. This is no longer permitted.

I would have the chimney cleaned and inspected by a certified sweep before burning too long. A lot of these old installations are slammers with no liner. This is no longer permitted.

Please pardon my lack of knowledge, what is a slammer with no liner? This is all new to me and just starting to learn the best ways to use it and all the lingo. Is there a beginners section anywhere on the forum?

A slammer is a stove installed with no connection to the chimney. Instead, it relies on the insert surround to provide a seal. This kind of installation can produce deposits creosote on and around the insert, which can easily ignite and cause damage to the insert and chimney, or even start a house fire

A slammer is a stove installed with no connection to the chimney. Instead, it relies on the insert surround to provide a seal. This kind of installation can produce deposits creosote on and around the insert, which can easily ignite and cause damage to the insert and chimney, or even start a house fire

I'm hoping that's not the case here so I took a few photos and will get it inspected soon, the last one is inside the fireplace looking up the chimney. Have not had any luck finding much info on this model thru the internet.

Attachments

• Fireplace 2.jpg
    Fireplace 2.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Fireplace 3.jpg
    Fireplace 3.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 80
  • Fireplace Chimney.jpg
    Fireplace Chimney.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 79
If the flue picture was taken up from inside the stove, it looks like it has a liner.