Newbie woodstove/liner install... need advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

laverne4u

Nov 19, 2008
richmond, virginia
We moved into our current home (2 stories, approx. 1300 sq ft) about a year ago and don't like using the electric baseboard heat. We have a straight chimney in the middle of the house that touches 4 rooms on the first floor (each room has an exposed brick diagonal wall) and goes right through the middle of our one room upstairs. The inside dimensions of the chimney are approx. 18" x 18" without any liner and appears to me to have seen little use (I can look straight down it from up on the roof). It is 17 feet tall (just measured tonight)) with 3 feet above the roofline. Late last year we were given an older Kodiak cast iron wood stove (dimensions are 18" by 25") with 6" outlet (no manual so can't track down model #) and I'd like to get it installed this year. My plan of attack:

1. Install 6" insulated stainless steel liner. I'm debating between a flexible or rigid liner with my worry being that a flexible liner, because of the enormity of the chimney, will just be hanging in the chimney without a lot of support (only attached at the top and then to the stove through a thimble). Has anyone found that these liners move around inside a chimney of this size?
2. If I had the manual for this stove I could look up the necessary R or K values needed for the hearth I'm going to build, but seeing as I do not have the manual my hearth base was going to be built on a 2x4 frame, covered with 3/4" plywood and then 1 or 2 layers of Durock. Tile or slate would then be the finished hearth top. Does this sound sufficient for this stove which has 6" legs? Is the 2nd layer of Durock necessary? Anyone know where to get a manual for these Kodiak stoves?

I intend to do all of this work myself (with the help of someone else when it comes to dropping the liner down the chimney). Should I be on the lookout for any hang ups? Any advice or tips to help with the install? I'll try to take some pictures if anyone wants to see them....

This site is great and if my situation has already been answered in another thread, please point me in the right direction. Thanks for your time,

laverne4u said:
...[chimney] is 17 feet tall...my worry being that a flexible liner, because of the enormity of the chimney, will just be hanging in the chimney without a lot of support ...Any advice or tips to help with the install...

I installed a 6"x22 foot uninsulated flexible liner this year. They're a little awkward to handle, but the weight is not much -- it easily hangs from the top cap. Insulation will add some weight, but 17 feet should be doable.

Status
Not open for further replies.