Newby, used Napoleon, broken baffle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

marinetech_01

Nov 30, 2013
Northern Wisconsin
So I just picked up a Napoleon 1100 on Craig's list and as I was bringing all the parts into my house I broke a baffle. I have a new one coming, but can I burn it. I understand I will burn through more wood but its-35 in northern Wisconsin right now and the propane just isn't cutting it. Here's the real dilemma. The house used to have a wood stove in it but the previous owner replaced it with a propane stove and used the existing chimney, Sooo I can't hook up the wood stove until I disconnect the propane. The house is 900 sg ft first floor with a 300 sg ft loft and vaulted ceilings so its kinda one room. If I can fire it will it heat good enough our should I wait till next week when I get the new baffle. Also I am looking for any advice I can get I'm new to these secondary burn stoves. Also I was wondering if its worth putting a damper in the pipe, every stove I've ever used before had one, will it help or is not necessary.

Replace the broken baffle with firebrick. I did that with my Napoleon 1400 have a great results. It's much cheaper and works much nicer. Let me know if you need details.

Follow the same size as the baffle.
Just replace it with fire brick. You usually leave an 1.5" gap at the front if the stove.

Let let know of this make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.