Newest addition to the house!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle23

Dec 22, 2012
Recently hurricane sandy destroyed my lower half of the house and with that went my electric baseboard heating. Was not to upset with he fact that I wont have $400 electric bills and needed to find a quick fix to heat the house for the winter, and many winters to come. I ended up really getting into this project and am a first time owner of a wood stove learning more and more everyday. Here's some pictures of my new Lopi republic 1750 as well as the hearth all installed by myself.

I do have one question. I've been experimenting for over a week now and am getting a hang of the basics. No problems starting a fire or controlling the air. My only trouble is trying to succeed with an all night burn. I load as much wood as possible fire it up for about 10 minutes than cut the air down to almost nothing around 11pm. Between 3-4 depending on the wind is when I'm down to just coals. Now I wasn't using the best wood, a lot of it was floating around my property only a month ago for 3 days. Luckily today I got 2 cords of well seasoned wood dropped off. Hopefully that will help but any other recommendations on at least a 7 hour burn time?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 151
Reactions: fox9988
Welcome Kyle. That's a very handsome hearth. Nice stone and tilework. How did you do the embedded stone border?

I think now that you are burning drier wood it may be better, though finding seasoned wood at this time of year is extraordinarily rare. Large splits and packing the stove tightly help extend the burn time along with turning down the air as much and as quickly as is reasonable.

Recently hurricane sandy destroyed my lower half of the house and with that went my electric baseboard heating. Was not to upset with he fact that I wont have $400 electric bills and needed to find a quick fix to heat the house for the winter, and many winters to come. I ended up really getting into this project and am a first time owner of a wood stove learning more and more everyday. Here's some pictures of my new Lopi republic 1750 as well as the hearth all installed by myself.

I do have one question. I've been experimenting for over a week now and am getting a hang of the basics. No problems starting a fire or controlling the air. My only trouble is trying to succeed with an all night burn. I load as much wood as possible fire it up for about 10 minutes than cut the air down to almost nothing around 11pm. Between 3-4 depending on the wind is when I'm down to just coals. Now I wasn't using the best wood, a lot of it was floating around my property only a month ago for 3 days. Luckily today I got 2 cords of well seasoned wood dropped off. Hopefully that will help but any other recommendations on at least a 7 hour burn time?

Welcome to hearth.com Kyle nice hearth too !

Try loading a big chunk or round in East West then putting the rest in front of it East West. This makes it burn longer and if your stove is large enough to do the job will stay just as warm though it will burn slightly cooler. You will need to pull the hot coal to the front of the stove and load behind the hot coal for it to work best. How far are you from the wall tile kyle ? I cant see to well from the pics but your stove looks close.

Pete

Thank you. The stone was bought in 12"x12" sheets on the netting to be easily set on thinset. Did not workout as planned trying to cut 4" strips and easily place them on the wall so I pulled every stone off of the net and just placed them up 1 by 1. The clearances for the stove were surprisingly small for the back and sides for a corner installation. The bck corners of the stove are 6" to the tile. The tile has not gotten anywhere near hot, just warm as well as the mantel which is well over the 6" for combustibles to the double wall pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.