Newmac wood/electric furnace question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woodworm21

Aug 23, 2017
Canada
I am looking at purchasing a home with a wood electric Newmac hot air furnace. It is an older model (with the brown colored casing). Basically it's very similar to a wood only unit except it has the electric add on located above the wood unit (between the wood fire box and the hot air plenum). The owners mentioned there was some issues with the electric furnace part. And I'd rather have just wood anyways. Anyone have any experience in removing the electric unit and converting this to wood only? I am wondering if it's as simple as removing the electric add on and getting a taller plenum to tie into existing ductwork? I can't find a manual online, it doesn't seem like newmac makes this wood electric unit any more?

Why not just unhook the electric to the heating elements and call it a day?
Just FYI, the Newmac name/line is owned by USSC now...