Nice little score!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cross Cut Saw

Feeling the Heat
Mar 25, 2012
Boulder, CO
They cut down a maple tree yesterday at my work that I'd been telling them I wanted.
For some reason the owners thought I didn't want it because it wouldn't be burnable this year, luckily I got in before the tree guys and yanked all of this off of their trailer...
There are some nice BIG rounds in there too, didn't even have to buck it up but I will have to split most of it before I move it because I won't be able to lift them!
2013-01-22 09.31.24.jpg2013-01-22 09.31.34.jpg
I know it's a maple, I think it's a sugar maple, either way it's FREE!

I burn a lot of that here in my stove and it keeps our house warm, 72+ on days or nights that are around 20. Be ready to go next year if it is worked up before long.

Soft maple. Good stuff and splits super easy. Dries really fast too. We burn lots of it.

It will be split and stacked by Saturday, free wood always seems to heat my house a little better...

Yeah that looks like a silver maple to me. That stuff will be ready to rock next winter if you get it split up ASAP!

My coworkers don't get it at all, they were all laughing at me as I'm rolling these huge chunks off of the tree service's truck, I actually first called the tree service to see if they'd dump the trailer in my driveway for $25, I only live 10 miles from work, they didn't go for it.:(

The thing that gets me is that I know that my coworkers all keep their homes in the low 60's in the winter, and they think I'm the crazy one!?! :rolleyes:
Go put on another layer of clothes suckers, I'm hanging out in shorts and a t-shirt:cool:

Yep, I'm with silver maple. You'll enjoy it durning the shoulder seasons. A friend of mine had a large one dropped earlier this year and had the tree guys leave it for me. Got 2+ cord from that thing! And if you can believe it, a yard tree with no nails scerews or other junk to trash my chain. And this is a guy who raised 5 kids, 4 boys and a girl, in that house!

Reactions: Cross Cut Saw
This tree was an accident that no one bothered to cut when it was little, we counted 50 rings which sounds about right for the age of the building. It was pushing in on one of the walls which I pointed out to the owner which hastened it's demise ;)

They have several acres around the warehouse here and I can see at least half a dozen standing dead trees that I'm going to ask if I can cut. I might even be able to convince them to let me stack it out there and I can bring it home once it's ready...

nice score, I put a lot of silver maple in the stacks this year. Some of it was ready this year but I didnt need it so it will await next year.

Don't get a lot of silver maple but I like it when I do have some in the stacks. I have burnt some the last few days when I get home from work in the evenings (2 years or maybe 3 in the stack). Really cranks out the heat and is perfect for about 4 or 5 hr burn before the night load.

Status
Not open for further replies.