NIEL

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MTY

Feeling the Heat
Jan 9, 2019
Idaho
Okay, I admit it isn't real firewood, but none the less I have a question. I live in North Idaho. but never heard of this product until reading about it here. I went to town the other day and saw some for sale. Now to the question. Is there a significant difference between the NIEL and a Prestolog? Can they be used without problems in a cat stove (BK King)? I guess that was two questions, but I am curious.

Yes they can be used, BKVP used them exclusively one year in his BK King, the presto logs are very similar, whatever ones you can get cheaper, try them out. I usually get a pallet if NIEL's every year or two, next year I'm getting a couple pallets of presto logs.

Reactions: Highbeam
The Neil's seem to be a higher quality product than the rest of them but they are not available in this area so I have to take what available at TSC or a local garden center.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I purchased a pallet of NIELs a few weeks ago. Ran out of pine and I didn't want to mess with probably rain-soaked pine offerings from the wood suppliers. I have run about 30 of the logs through my EPA-certified wood stove. Here are my impressions.

1) A bit harder to start due to the density of the log. Need a bit more kindling to get it going.
2) A single log will have visible flames for approximately 2 hours, stay intact for 3 hours before disintegrating.
3) From cold-start, will rise the temperature in room about 6 degrees in the first hour (this is the most impressive part) Dry oak, 4 degrees in the first hour for comparison. Completely empirical evidence, no formal/scientific studies

I'll probably run through 60 of the logs (1/4th of the pallet) by the time we shut down the wood stove for the season. My 2018-19 wood usage has been 2.4 cords. I will up my 2019-20 season log inventory to 3 cords (2 cords hardwood and 1 cord pine). Plus, having 3/4 of a pallet in reserve *should* be enough. If not, another trip to the wood stove store to buy another pallet!

Reactions: Highbeam
I purchased a pallet of NIELs a few weeks ago. Ran out of pine and I didn't want to mess with probably rain-soaked pine offerings from the wood suppliers. I have run about 30 of the logs through my EPA-certified wood stove. Here are my impressions.

1) A bit harder to start due to the density of the log. Need a bit more kindling to get it going.
2) A single log will have visible flames for approximately 2 hours, stay intact for 3 hours before disintegrating.
3) From cold-start, will rise the temperature in room about 6 degrees in the first hour (this is the most impressive part) Dry oak, 4 degrees in the first hour for comparison. Completely empirical evidence, no formal/scientific studies

I'll probably run through 60 of the logs (1/4th of the pallet) by the time we shut down the wood stove for the season. My 2018-19 wood usage has been 2.4 cords. I will up my 2019-20 season log inventory to 3 cords (2 cords hardwood and 1 cord pine). Plus, having 3/4 of a pallet in reserve *should* be enough. If not, another trip to the wood stove store to buy another pallet!
I think they work best mixed with wood, maybe 3 splits and 3 NIELs, I've never burned them exclusively but others have said they burn quicker when no woods mixed.

I spotted the NIEL's at a farm and ranch type store. For years I used Presto logs in my tent stove and wondered if the N's were better.

Tonight I have the BK burning 2& better 2X ends from my remodel. They sure put out the heat. I have a cord+ of tamarack left for this year.

I spotted the NIEL's at a farm and ranch type store. For years I used Presto logs in my tent stove and wondered if the N's were better.

Tonight I have the BK burning 2& better 2X ends from my remodel. They sure put out the heat. I have a cord+ of tamarack left for this year.
Do you think they're better? I was contemplating getting a pallet of presto logs next year but may stick with NIELs.

Do you think they're better? I was contemplating getting a pallet of presto logs next year but may stick with NIELs.
I have no idea which would be the better of the two. Presto was all that was available to me prior to my spotting the NIEL's in the farm and ranch store. I

I have no idea which would be the better of the two. Presto was all that was available to me prior to my spotting the NIEL's in the farm and ranch store. I
I'm going to have try them for myself and get a pallet next year. BGreen gave them a good review.

I never use compress wood and my first experience is with the NIELs. I purchased a pallet a few weeks ago. All what I can say is that is incredible. They burn hot, mix with oak and Ash, everything goes to ashes and they still going and their coals is what light up next loads. They are hard to light up and is better a good bed of coals or mix it with wood splits.

Love them and with the stove on low setting, lot of heat and cat peg at the end for hrs.

It’s nice to have an alternative to firewood that is very effective and not ridiculously pricey. Unless you have ng or a heat pump, the Niel logs appear to be cheaper than any of the other central heat alternatives for each btu.

Don’t compare the price to firewood, compare to propane!