Nightmares -- or daydreams -- on 2021 pellet costs?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Your posting was one of the most interesting ones that I have read on this website..At 71 you have many years left and your a very history oriented person and I can see your talents with the knowledge being lost in the future--our world is very different now---and changes for me are hard to master especially since I think we are at the point of no return--not optimistic but we do the best that we can..Thank you for the very enlightened posting...clancey

Your posting was one of the most interesting ones that I have read on this website..At 71 you have many years left and your a very history oriented person and I can see your talents with the knowledge being lost in the future--our world is very different now---and changes for me are hard to master especially since I think we are at the point of no return--not optimistic but we do the best that we can..Thank you for the very enlightened posting...clancey
71 is getting pretty close to average life expectancy. Some people make it much longer, some nowhere close. My grandmother is 97. I don't think I can expect that or want that given the way things have been going. And either way, there's no guarantee of tomorrow, any number of things can make short work of us. Only way to deal with that is to know the Lord. Then we can rest easy.

I have seen no difference between soft and hardwood
Find one that works for you in your price range
I have burnt pellets for the last 20 years
The best I have burnt is hardwood and the worst was a softwood
So now all I buy is Cubix 9000 BTU per pound 0.4 % ash
They stay the same year after year Best bang for my buck
Interesting..i never burnef a horrible softwood but did burn horrible hardwoods myself. Prob because i have bought well over 20 brands back here over the years before softwoods as a permanant fuel.

I’ve only tried a few different brands of pellets in my P61A and there is a bit off difference, used an infra red temp gun as per the sticky, Canadian tires hardwood pellets are more expensive but do put out a bit more heat, tons of fluffy ash tho…the Walmart softies are way cheaper but do have more fines and less ash and a bit less heat, less consistent stock.

Reactions: bogieb
I’ve only tried a few different brands of pellets in my P61A and there is a bit off difference, used an infra red temp gun as per the sticky, Canadian tires hardwood pellets are more expensive but do put out a bit more heat, tons of fluffy ash tho…the Walmart softies are way cheaper but do have more fines and less ash and a bit less heat, less consistent stock.
walmarts here in the states sell pretty crappy hardwoods year after year. Penningtons is one of the're staples.
usually never a softie..

Never seen any pellets at the local Walmart here, didn't know they even carried them actually.

Mine is the "local" Southern States franchise, 16 miles away for me so still in the delivery radius. I suspect there's a SS nearer you but unsure if the same deals apply.
Over the past year the Southern States store in Summersville, WV raised their Statesman Wood Pellets from $225 per ton to $249 per ton plus tax. We had another Southern States store closer to where I live but unfortunately they closed their doors for good over the summer. Thankfully we found a small Mom & Pop hardware store in my area that is selling the original Hamer Hot Ones at the same $249 per ton price. I would say the closer we get to winter the more the price will go up on all pellets regardless of the brand.

IMG_3596.JPG

I have seen no difference between soft and hardwood
Find one that works for you in your price range
I have burnt pellets for the last 20 years
The best I have burnt is hardwood and the worst was a softwood
So now all I buy is Cubix 9000 BTU per pound 0.4 % ash
They stay the same year after year Best bang for my buck

My stoves love Cubix. Unfortunately they are tough to find, and when I do the cost is prohibitive unless I can find a CL deal. Hamers were great too. (both of those are pure hardwoods)

My P61a is not a fan of pure softies although it did like Vermonts when I got some off CL. Softies or blends that have a high softie content, leave a mess in the exhaust pipe. I surmise that those types of pellets run so hot that the P61a's heating cycle is very short (it heats a very small space) so the exhaust pipe does not get good and hot. The P43 is good with softies, but there doesn't seem to be any advantage to running them at the prices they run.

When I first joined this forum I was going to buy the Wiseway Pellet US wood stove that was gravity fed and it did not require electric at all figuring this would be a easy project--how wrong I was..lol But anyway all the literature that I read recommended hard pellets for this stove because they burn better and leave less ash and they suggested pellets from the east coast I am thinking Maine. Here I am in the West with softies and the east coast has the hard ones..I will give you mine if you give me yours--lol ..never happy, clancey

I would say the closer we get to winter the more the price will go up on all pellets regardless of the brand.
I believe you are 100% correct in that assumption.

Reactions: GovtMule66
When I first joined this forum I was going to buy the Wiseway Pellet US wood stove that was gravity fed and it did not require electric at all figuring this would be a easy project--how wrong I was..lol But anyway all the literature that I read recommended hard pellets for this stove because they burn better and leave less ash and they suggested pellets from the east coast I am thinking Maine. Here I am in the West with softies and the east coast has the hard ones..I will give you mine if you give me yours--lol ..never happy, clancey
That Wiseway heater looked like a nightmare to me. Had one at the local stove shop on display and now I see USSC sells them (probably made in China now).

Reactions: clancey
Over the past year the Southern States store in Summersville, WV raised their Statesman Wood Pellets from $225 per ton to $249 per ton plus tax. We had another Southern States store closer to where I live but unfortunately they closed their doors for good over the summer. Thankfully we found a small Mom & Pop hardware store in my area that is selling the original Hamer Hot Ones at the same $249 per ton price. I would say the closer we get to winter the more the price will go up on all pellets regardless of the brand.

View attachment 280431
good price for Hamer's

Just came back from Purchasing Pellets for Upcoming Heating Season. ACE Hardware, North Idaho Energy Log. $219, but Discount of $5.00 if you purchased more than 1 Ton.

With Labor and Delivery comes to $714.97

No Increase from last year. Actually little cheaper with Discount.

Reactions: Pete Zahria
Interestingly, here in Michigan pellets aren't taxable.

Here in Ontario, we pay the GST (grab and screw tax) 13%
Got to keep Justin Trudeau and Doug Ford happy

Or you can save the 50,000
and put it towards having them delivered... ;)

Dan
And Handle them twice? For $50 bucks? No thanks. We have Pickup. They will place them in Bay of Building. Move them with Tractor after that. 9 bags at a time.

Attachments

• New Jeep.jpg
    New Jeep.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 106
And Handle them twice? For $50 bucks? No thanks. We have Pickup. They will place them in Bay of Building. Move them with Tractor after that. 9 bags at a time.
I have to say that living just north of Toledo Jeep I got to see that vehicle almost as soon as it came off the assembly line and I thought to myself, what a fugly vehicle. Useless bed on a Jeep. I don't get it and the price is insane too. Sure you like it, all good with me. I don't. No way could it haul a half skid of pellets anyway without breaking the springs.

They have them stacked up like cordwood in lots all over east Toledo right now. Seems to be a chip shortage...

Stopping in at TSC tomorrow to pre buy a ton or 2.

Reactions: bogieb
It's perfect vehicle for us. I had Ram 3500 with 8ft bed and 6.7l. It would get stuck by sliding off driveway at least once per year. Got about 12" rise at end of driveway to county road. Even with 4 bags of Sand in Bed it would get stuck. Slide off. Jeep just climbs out. We need PU for Trash Removal every 6 weeks. Go to Transfer Station. Traded 2019 Rubicon for this in May. Don't miss the Ram. Had annoying electrical problem of selector for 4x4 not working. Dealer could not fix. Never acted up there. Made it someone else's problem. But it was nice hauling plywood. Now we use trailer. Just Foot Note. Even with Cooper AT3 Tires it would slide off.

New Jeep.jpg DSCN1093.JPG

Last edited:
It's perfect vehicle for us. I had Ram 3500 with 8ft bed and 6.7l. It would get stuck by sliding off driveway at least once per year. Got about 12" rise at end of driveway to county road. Even with 4 bags of Sand in Bed it would get stuck. Slide off. Jeep just climbs out. We need PU for Trash Removal every 6 weeks. Go to Transfer Station. Traded 2019 Rubicon for this in May. Don't miss the Ram. Had annoying electrical problem of selector for 4x4 not working. Dealer could not fix. Never acted up there. Made it someone else's problem. But it was nice hauling plywood. Now we use trailer. Just Foot Note. Even with Cooper AT3 Tires it would slide off.

View attachment 280460 View attachment 280461
Slide off? The only time my 06 Cummins Dually has issues is when there is loads of ice on the ground, but I have six MTs, not four highway tires. To be fair four sand bags is really nothing to a 3/4 or one ton pickup. Your 19 Rubicon and the new Gladiator have much more aggressive tires than your Ram ever did. The tires are the limiting factor for traction, not your vehicle.