Nightmares -- or daydreams -- on 2021 pellet costs?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
To be fair four sand bags is really nothing to a 3/4 or one ton pickup.
With a ton pallet of pellets in the back of my 1 ton Ford, it don't even put the overload leaf on the snubber, 2 tons, maybe.

Bought 2 ton of Michigan Hardwood at the local TSC today. $209.00 per ton and no tax as usual. About a ton more than I need actually.

Well, I sent my usual supplier a couple of e-mails, none of which were answered; normal, I think they just do not care for e-mail. Anyway, got back from two weeks at the beach, and in the mail got a postcard from them. Statesman by Hamers at $309/ton, so up from last year but I am unsure by how much without searching last year's purchase. Also O'Malley hardwood at $259, and American Wood Fibers white wine at $329. I've had such good luck with Hamers that I am reluctant to buy anything else, but might get ten bags of the white pine to try out with my two tons of Statesman.

Pulled the trigger on 2 tons of the Statesman/Hamers, was pleased to find that delivery was included! Pretty sure that last year, while cheaper/ton, there was a delivery charge from the same place.

Reactions: SidecarFlip
The TSC store where I get mine, asked me if I wanted to deliver pellets to customers. Flat said no. Not interested unless they unload them and only full skids. I'm too old (71) to be fingerprinting bags of pellets other than my own.

Reactions: railfanron
Bought 2 ton of Michigan Hardwood at the local TSC today. $209.00 per ton and no tax as usual. About a ton more than I need actually.

How do you not pay tax? Unless it’s for your farm expense? Unless something is changed recently, Michigan home heating fuel has a 4% tax. So a discount from the regular 6% sales tax, but still taxed.

How do you not pay tax? Unless it’s for your farm expense? Unless something is changed recently, Michigan home heating fuel has a 4% tax. So a discount from the regular 6% sales tax, but still taxed.
Answered you own question. I have an ag account there and I tell them for farm use which is the truth sort of. Heating the farmstead. I pay 4% on my propane unless it's the dryer bottles and then, no tax, ag use.

I pay enough tax to the state to pizz away as it is. You can tell I'm a 'big fan' of state government...not.

I got 3 tons of Pro Pellets at TSC today to top off my stash. 5 tons total so I’m prepared if we end up getting a brutal winter. Paid $235 a ton which is the same as last year. Now I see the ad for Family Farm and Home has them for $219 a ton. Oh well. I still would have gone to TSC in Boyne rather than deal with Charlevoix in the summer.

One thing they did was put an extra pallet below each ton. Nobody else has ever done that. Made it nice to keep the forks from stabbing the bottom bags.

Candidly, we have a Farm and Fleet here to but I don't much care for them. It's the old County Post I think.

209 a ton here. I unload mine with my hi-lo and I've never stuck a bag. I bet Charlevoix is a zoo in the summer.

I unload mine by hand. I couldn’t get a hi lo into the pole barn if I wanted to, it’s very low. Besides I get to inspect the bags as I go, if I get a whole bunch of bags that have gotten wet then the pallet goes back. That’s happened before.

Ace Hardware took over the old County Post. Farm and Home was a Buy Low Foods, then a few farm store failures. I like Farm and Home, I got my stove there. But yes the town is a zoo in the summer and I avoid going across whenever possible. Same with many coworkers. Many of us chose our house location based on not having to cross town for work. Sometimes it takes 45 minutes to go 2 miles, and jaywalkers galore. The TSC in Boyne is new and a nice addition. I live in the sticks kinda between everything.

Pre-ordered 2 tons from TSC yesterday and it was $234.50/ton. Already have 3 tons in the house and figure I will manage to obtain some from CL finds.

I unload mine by hand. I couldn’t get a hi lo into the pole barn if I wanted to, it’s very low. Besides I get to inspect the bags as I go, if I get a whole bunch of bags that have gotten wet then the pallet goes back. That’s happened before.

Ace Hardware took over the old County Post. Farm and Home was a Buy Low Foods, then a few farm store failures. I like Farm and Home, I got my stove there. But yes the town is a zoo in the summer and I avoid going across whenever possible. Same with many coworkers. Many of us chose our house location based on not having to cross town for work. Sometimes it takes 45 minutes to go 2 miles, and jaywalkers galore. The TSC in Boyne is new and a nice addition. I live in the sticks kinda between everything.
Me thinks you are right as there is an ACE in the same spot where the County Post was. Interestingly I bought my first stove at County Post at least 3 decades ago. The Englander (long gone) came from there. Not sure if ACE even has pellets, I didn't look. TSC has what I want so I get them there. Need to go down the road with one of the farm tractors and pick up a couple skids of corn sometime before first frost. Other than that, I'm good to go.

Here in NY State, wood pellets for home heating are sales tax exempt.

Ray

Looks like this year (2021) will be a repeat of last year but what about going forward like 2022?

Looks like this year (2021) will be a repeat of last year but what about going forward like 2022?

Hopefully it stays where it’s at or lower. I was actually more worried about last year, as businesses of most types were forced to take measures that resulted in cutting back, even essential manufacturing like I do. So I was concerned that pellet supply would be tight, but there didn’t seem to be any problems at least here. Now I think the only thing that’s closed by mandate are some entertainment type industries, if even that. And gas hasn’t gone up more than 20 cents since Spring. Even with a record breaking tourist season.

Almost four weeks after ordering, called my supplier wondering why there had not been a call to schedule the delivery to me. Turns out a significant delay in arrivals from the factory, the first truckloads just starting to show up. I'm supposed to get my two tons early next week. A shortage of truck drivers was mentioned.

Reactions: Pete Zahria
There is an 'acute' shortage of truck drivers everywhere. Lots of wannabe 'steering wheel holders' but good drivers are hard to find.

Reactions: FirepotPete
I got Somersets from TSC For $199.50/Ton plus 5% off for using the TSC credit card. Which almost offsets the tax.

Have their card as well but rarely use it. I prefer my Kroger Mastercard because I not only get fuel points, but I get cash back vouchers for groceries from Kroger which my wife gets as she does the shopping, not me. Just got 125 bucks in vouchers yesterday.

My wife is in the 'Neighbors Club' and they e-mail her discount coupons for merchandise. Though I always pay the balance on all my cards monthly, the TSC card's interest rate is scary high.
100_0003.JPG
100_0040 (1).JPG

Like I said previously, no tax on the pellets, I put them on my TE farm account. They do go to heat the farm house so I'm really not lying, just stretching the envelope a bit...lol

I see TSC's wild bird seed went up quite a bit. We feed the birds in the winter, keeps the cats entertained...lol They try to catch them but rarely succeed. Our cats are well feed and most are 'chunky monkeys' anyway. fat cats don't move all that fast. However, they still make good mousers and keep the barn mice under control which for me is all good. keeps the rodents out of my tractors and keeps them from munching on the electrical wires.

Dreading diesel fuel costs next year. having to increase my cost per round bale to offset that incurred cost. Have one customer that buys everything I make and has for 5 years now. he only wants 4x5 rounds, preferably in net but will take poly in a pinch. He picks them up right out of the field with his semi trailers, I just load them, usually 40 to a load and he is real good at payment too. I'm increasing my acreage a bit, fitting up an additional 10 acres right now for next year. Vernal alfalfa has went way up in cost (certified seed) as well. went from 200 a bag to 300 a bag. Might switch to roundup ready alfalfa, not sure yet. here in Michigan, to purchase Roundup Ready alfalfa you need to hold a pesticide / herbicide application license, which I have.

Besides, just bought a new 2021 Kubota Net Twine Premium round baler with all the bells and whistles on it. $43,000. I did trade in my present New Holland 450 Net Twine baler however. Dealer gave me 23.5 for mine and Kubota kicked in an additional 5 grand ag discount, plus I financed the balance with Kubota at 0 percent so it didn't hurt too bad....and I sold my New Holland 575 high capacity square bailer that I haven't used in 5 years for 12.5 cash on Tractor House. Last year I sold my old Giehl rotary rake on TH and purchased a Kuhn Master Drive rotary so all that is left to turn over is the NH discbine but I'm hesitant to sell or trade it as it's a darn good machine and easy to work on. I'd prefer having a center point mower (mine is a side pull). Center swing machines are much more maneuverable in odd shaped fields and require less passes and over cuts. Soon it will be time to service everything and put it to sleep in the barn for next season.

I mothball all the tractors except one. That one gets a 10 foot power angle snowplow on the front and a Lucknow 7 foot blower on the back for old man winter. we live 2 miles off the pavement so getting out after a snow event can be dicey. Normally, I don't put up pictures but I made an exception. As you can see, I prefer large frame Kubota diesels...
100_0013 (1).JPG

The picture and information about some of the machinery workings was just "worth its weight in gold" , gosh for a few minutes I thought I was on a farm...I just bet your kitties are "fat and I say sassy as well." Thanks for the beautiful posting..old mrs clancey

All costs a lot of money. Now if I was wealthy or it was free... No that won't work either You respect and take care of things when you pay for them.

a Lucknow 7 foot blower on the back
I had to look that one up. Made in Lucknow, India, the site of some of the Indian Mutiny of 1857? No, but Lucknow Ontario was named for the one in India. Anyway, that rig dwarfs my 17HP John Deere with Cyclone Rake.

I had to look that one up. Made in Lucknow, India, the site of some of the Indian Mutiny of 1857? No, but Lucknow Ontario was named for the one in India. Anyway, that rig dwarfs my 17HP John Deere with Cyclone Rake.
Actually, the blower was made by Helm Engineering in Lucknow, Ontario. Good unit. Simple and efficient. It is a power eater though. Big drifts take every bit of my 95 ponies (PTO) and cause the tractor to blow smoke.

Not looking forward to any of it (snow) actually.

Called to check again after a couple of weeks. My pellets are all ready to go... on a mountaintop in West Virginia. No trucks. Latest estimate 7-10 days. Fortunately, it's still nice and warm here. Just last week had a new "combi-boiler" installed to heat the house so, no matter what, we won't freeze.