No ash??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Wow, I'd call it a blessing. What pellets are you burning?

Welcome to the forum. You may want to add your stove particulars to your signature.

Reactions: jeannep36
I burn the north Idaho pellets. This is my first pellet stove I have the heatilator PS35, so I have no clue what’s normal an what’s not. I do get a lot of ash in the box an around the fire pot but literally none in the ash pan after burning four bags.

Attachments

• 8BB6A917-56E0-4579-9C4B-040F05BF5687.jpeg
    8BB6A917-56E0-4579-9C4B-040F05BF5687.jpeg
    115.1 KB · Views: 128
While that may seem like a good thing,you are probably wasting a lot of heat out the flue.Those cheaper stoves do not have much adjustment.i would try increasing the fuel rate.

While that may seem like a good thing,you are probably wasting a lot of heat out the flue.Those cheaper stoves do not have much adjustment.i would try increasing the fuel rate.
What do you mean by adjustment? The Manuel says for the flame to be 6-8 inches above the pot so that’s what I have the feed set at. Should I change that an increase the feed? I also keep it on medium because on high it puts out to much heat the heat coming out on medium is pretty dang hot too. I paid 2200 for this stove brand new, is this considered one of the lower end stoves? This is my first pellet so don’t know much about them

You seem to have your stove performing well!
Feel blessed that your ash output is so small.
Some brands of pellets produce more ash than others.
You are lucky to get a pellet first time that has little ash
Please note some people here feel that if you didn't pay
an ungodly amount for your stove that you must have bought
junk. If your stove heats and preforms the way you want then
it is as valuable as a 5000 dollar stove.
Welcome to the Forum.

It sounds like you’ve got things working well right away. You’re lucky. Many of us have had to mess around until we found a good performing combination.

I would be curious as to how much ash builds up in the passages and pipe. What you’re not seeing in the stove may be going there instead. With any stove you will need to clean that regularly anyway.

Hi Jean! I think it will take your first full winter to really understand how your stoves works and performs. At present, if your happy with your heat output and low ash, I would stick with what you got! My only recommendation going forward is on cleaning. Most stoves have a Weekly and Monthly cleaning regime, with the latter generally doing twice the amount of cleaning. I have found that (with much practice) I can do my monthly cleaning in about 30-35 minute....so that is what I do on a weekly basis. Yes it can be dirty but some of us really enjoy the cleaning My tip...always wear Nitrile gloves and keep your hands clean!
Enjoy your stove, Bill

You seem to have your stove performing well!
Feel blessed that your ash output is so small.
Some brands of pellets produce more ash than others.
You are lucky to get a pellet first time that has little ash
Please note some people here feel that if you didn't pay
an ungodly amount for your stove that you must have bought
junk. If your stove heats and preforms the way you want then
it is as valuable as a 5000 dollar stove.
Welcome to the Forum.
Thank you !! I went to bed a little bummed thinking I had purchased a junker. I seems to heat real good no problems than I can tell but I don’t really know what to look for other than everyone says empty the ash drawer and mine just never seems to have any in it. When I burned a couple bags of the lingestics?? Pellets their was a small amount but with these northern Idaho ones theirs literally none. But there sure is a lot in the firebox around the fire pot. Is that normal?

Hi Jean! I think it will take your first full winter to really understand how your stoves works and performs. At present, if your happy with your heat output and low ash, I would stick with what you got! My only recommendation going forward is on cleaning. Most stoves have a Weekly and Monthly cleaning regime, with the latter generally doing twice the amount of cleaning. I have found that (with much practice) I can do my monthly cleaning in about 30-35 minute....so that is what I do on a weekly basis. Yes it can be dirty but some of us really enjoy the cleaning My tip...always wear Nitrile gloves and keep your hands clean!
Enjoy your stove, Bill
Thank you Bill!! What all do you do in your weekly an monthly cleanings?

Jean, your firebox looks great! First, Your owners manual spells out what to clean and when. Usually for most stoves, the weekly cleaning consists of nothing more than vacuuming out the stove as you have done. The monthly cleaning usually consists of removing some or all of the baffles, plates...hoodickys so that you can get all the extra ash and deposits out of all the now exposed crevices. That and cleaning the glass (another learning experience) and you will be a first year rookie in control! Don’t forget to read about the do’s and don’t’s about vacuuming your stove out! Hot ashes sucked up in some types of vac’s even fancy stove vacs can catch on fire!!! If you have to be stuck at home this winter more than usual, now is the time to learn more about your stove.
Good Luck, Bill

Reactions: jeannep36
Jean, your firebox looks great! First, Your owners manual spells out what to clean and when. Usually for most stoves, the weekly cleaning consists of nothing more than vacuuming out the stove as you have done. The monthly cleaning usually consists of removing some or all of the baffles, plates...hoodickys so that you can get all the extra ash and deposits out of all the now exposed crevices. That and cleaning the glass (another learning experience) and you will be a first year rookie in control! Don’t forget to read about the do’s and don’t’s about vacuuming your stove out! Hot ashes sucked up in some types of vac’s even fancy stove vacs can catch on fire!!! If you have to be stuck at home this winter more than usual, now is the time to learn more about your stove.
Good Luck, Bill
Thank you so so much Bill !! You’ve made me feel 100 times better about this stove! I’ve always had a wood stove but i would never leave the house with it burning an I was up all night checking on it in fear of fire so I feel so much safer with this stove however the learning process is gonna take some time so I really appreciate your responses! Thanks again !!

Heatilator isn't top of the line but just because it's economy doesn't mean it's junk. They work great and are produced by the same parent company as Quadra Fire

Reactions: bostonfan49
As said above if the stove does what you want its not junk... I have a ugly old breckwell but man is that thing reliable and kicks out the heat... It has saved me huge on my gas and hydro bills in this drafty old trailer... Im dreading the day it breaks down beyond repair

Reactions: bostonfan49
I’m new to this whole pellet stove thing. I have the Heatilator PS35 and I have burned almost 3 bags of pellets an still no ash in ash pan, is this normal?

The only ash that will go into your ash pan is when you clean the firepot with the firepot cleaning rod daily.

Cleaning Firepot with Cleaning Rod & Firepot
Clean-Out Tool
• Frequency: Daily or more often as needed
• By: Homeowner
a. The appliance must be in complete shutdown and cool
and the exhaust blower off. If you are just cleaning
the firepot, there is no need to unplug the appliance.
b. Locate the firepot cleaning rod on the right side
of the appliance. (“Figure 7”). When you pull the
cleaning rod straight out it will slide open the firepot
floor to allow the ashes to be deposited in the ash
drawer. You will see the light colour painted area on
the cleaning rod to let you know the rod is in OPEN
position. (“Figure 8”)
c. Pull the firepot cleaning rod OUT and IN a couple of
times to help shake debris loose. If the rod is hard to
pull, it may be necessary to use your firepot cleanout
tool to chip away material that has built up on the
bottom plate of the firepot and to push out any clinkers
while in the open position.
d. To close the firepot floor: slightly raise the cleaning
rod and then push it back into place. If you have
closed the cleaning rod properly (pushed all the way
in) you will not see any of the light colour painted area.
(“Figure 8”).
e. Always have the ash drawer in place before pulling
the firepot cleaning rod, otherwise the ashes will fall
down and fill the outside air opening and the appliance
will produce soot out of the exhaust and will affect

The only ash that will go into your ash pan is when you clean the firepot with the firepot cleaning rod daily.

Cleaning Firepot with Cleaning Rod & Firepot
Clean-Out Tool
• Frequency: Daily or more often as needed
• By: Homeowner
a. The appliance must be in complete shutdown and cool
and the exhaust blower off. If you are just cleaning
the firepot, there is no need to unplug the appliance.
b. Locate the firepot cleaning rod on the right side
of the appliance. (“Figure 7”). When you pull the
cleaning rod straight out it will slide open the firepot
floor to allow the ashes to be deposited in the ash
drawer. You will see the light colour painted area on
the cleaning rod to let you know the rod is in OPEN
position. (“Figure 8”)
c. Pull the firepot cleaning rod OUT and IN a couple of
times to help shake debris loose. If the rod is hard to
pull, it may be necessary to use your firepot cleanout
tool to chip away material that has built up on the
bottom plate of the firepot and to push out any clinkers
while in the open position.
d. To close the firepot floor: slightly raise the cleaning
rod and then push it back into place. If you have
closed the cleaning rod properly (pushed all the way
in) you will not see any of the light colour painted area.
(“Figure 8”).
e. Always have the ash drawer in place before pulling
the firepot cleaning rod, otherwise the ashes will fall
down and fill the outside air opening and the appliance
will produce soot out of the exhaust and will affect
Well don’t I feel stupid lol yes when I clean the fire pot an pull the thingy then a little ash falls down.. not much but some an some clinkers. But dang the inside of the box all around the fire pot I have to vacuum daily. It gets about an inch of ash inside the stove on the floor around the fire pot.