No Fire!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henz

Hearth Supporter
Mar 23, 2006
Northville, NY
Well, got up this morning, some coals left in the stove. was in a rush, threw on some kindling sized splits and watched the weather. Called for mid 30's with 4" of snow today, not getting all that cold tonight and then tomorrow 40 and looks like that stays through Sunday..Then I looked at my firewood ring and said, if its gonna stay in the mid 30's-40 degrees, I am not gonna be burning 24/7..I just do not see where it makes sence to burn 24/7 during these temps.When I get home I will start a fire and get the house up to 80 degrees before 10pm when I goto bed, which will be the coldest time of the day, the furnace wont kick on at all.

I know there are alot of 24/7 burners on this site, and I was one last year, but also ran out of wood in April... I know this year I ahve more wood than last but truthfully wouldnt mind having some leftover. Does anyone else have this philosophy?

Sure do, I burn 24/7 but I dont burn if we dont need a fire.
Christmas morning was the best.
It was 72 in the house and we went to be late. Decided we wouldnt lite the fire so we threw an extra blanket on the kids and turned the boiler off. Woke up and it was 63 degrees, I got the stove ripping and then the kids came down to see what Santa left in the stockings and under the tree.

Its not so bad to wake up to a bit of a chill once in a while anyway, I am always amazed at how fast the stove heats the house up.

On *warmer* nights, I often debate whether to throw a couple more splits on the coals as we head to bed. To me, it doesn't make sense. Three splits will keep the living area warm through the night, but we like it cool in the bedroom. In other words, we'd be wasting heat & wood. Typically, I'm the first up and don't mind the cold and enjoy getting the fire going over a cup of coffee. By the time the wife wakes up, the house is warm enough to ward off any complaints.

Yeah, on the days where its not too cold, we just let the coals burn down some. We might throw on an occasional split to keep a flame up, but nothing HOT. Then when its time for bed we might get her going if its going to be in the 30's or less, or just let the coals heat overnight. As you said, its good sleeping with the cool in the bedrooms: that's what that comforter is for.

yes, and I remember the first year I had the stove (last year), I would get up in the wee hours if I heard the furnace kick on cause I was so cheap I didnt want to pay for oil..Well, after a couple of pipe freeze ups (crawl space) I let that furnace kick on at about 5:45am to heat the crawl space allitle..
I am much happier now that I am learning to use both heat sources rather than relying on just one solely..For me, its the way to go.

I'm cheap and do not want to buy oil. In fact, we do not even have a furnace and are totally dependent upon our wood heat. The last fire we started was right after an unusually hot spell early in November and we do not expect to start another fire until sometime in late March or early April. Until then it will be going full time. However, on warm days, we just let the coals burn down or if need be just put in a couple of really small stuff.

When we cut wood, we cut up almost the entire tree. We have a sawhorse we use for cutting the small limbs. I cut the limb off the tree and the small part of the limb and then it gets put on the sawhorse. Sometimes we even cut as small as 1" which works great for small fires and for starting fires. Those 2-3" pieces are really great when the outdoor temperature gets above freezing. Not much heat there but enough to keep the chill off and keep coals for later in the day.

When the wood is stacked, we also stack it in such a way that the small wood is mixed with the larger pieces. That way we have a good choice of wood all winter and don't have to go hunting for the size we want.

Hi, I'm home during the day so it is easy for me to throw a spilt or two every three or four hours. It never seems to get as warm here as they forcast and am going to have to start a new fire anyway, so it's easier tokeep it going. I'm always two years ahead on my wood, so I'm not too worried about running out.

Jim

yes good points, I just do not have the time to do so when gone for 10 hours a day. On really cold days I will have the fire loaded right up and turned down for the day to heat the house so the furnace doesnt kick on, but not on a 30+ degree day for the most part.

Well, I pretty much have to throw wood on the fire whenever possibe during this time of the year. Although it isn't terribly cold (35-45 during the day and 20's at night) I am heating 2700 sq ft not counting the basement solely with our insert. During the day when no one is home the temps can drop to mid 60's or lower if it is cloudy and cold. I'm lucky this week beacuse my oldest daughter is off school and throws a log on every couple hours and keeps it in the 70's. At night I have to load it up and the temps still drop about 4-5 degrees in the house by morning. I don't like being cold and neither does my wife so we like it about 75 on the weekends. I know there is no way I could keep up with the temps that the far northeast and north central parts of the U.S. experiences, much less Canada. Maybe I would just put cardboard up in the doorways and campout in the living room.

I keep'er going unless it gets very very warm, which it will not til March maybe or a winter heat wave. With a slab under my carpeting downstairs, I like to keep pouring heat into that concrete. Stove got lit on Nov 1, I think, and probably wont go off until Aprilish.

Yep, I burn 24/7 til spring stops me!

On warmer days, above freezen, I'll let the stove burn out and let the oil kick in, then I have time to clean the stove out, but I like have a fire going for a couple of days straight, seems to heat everything up down cellar and up satirs will stay warm for a day or two, use to own 14 acres of land, so I had planty of wood, move to the city and have a 1/2 acre now and I'm regrating it now, looking for land now for wood lot

If the temperature is in the 30's to low 40's during the day we keep it going 24/7. The wife is home and has no problem putting a couple of splits on during the day to feed her need for heat. Cost of wood is zero and wife is happy too. Can life get better, I submit not.

I let the weather dictate & I don't turn my heat on except in my sons room when he goes to sleep (it is always cold in his room) or I put it on in the downstairs if I am going to be gone for longer than 10 hours to prevent pipes freezing, I have yet to have it kick on, no frozen pipes since I moved here, hope I didn't jinx myself!

**I have been with out the stove going since Sunday, BF is rethreading the handle, installation is Friday. Can't wait!**

no fire for me again last night or today..This is the longest I have gone without relighting! supposed to be close to 40 here today and stayed around 32 last night..The oil furnace kicked on once during the night to get the house to the 64 degree nighttime temp when no woodstove going. then come on (programmable weekly thermostat) at 5:45 and house up to 68 degrees. got my oil bill for the last two months (auto fillups) it was $147. Cant complain...

We use the stove in conjunction with the oil furnace also---not really set up to use wood only. We've replaced the windows in the house and added insulation, and I find this year that the house stays warm enough all day that I can wait until evenings to light the stove. We moved the thermostat into the basement, where the laundry and workshop areas are. I also have growlights set up for seedlings and need to keep it at least near 60 down there. We still use more oil than I'd like but since we've had the insert in it's a third of what we'd use without it. I'm happy with it this way---don't have to worry about the pipes freezing, cold bathroom tile or seized-up honey in the back of the pantry. And I don't have to be afraid to go anywhere---I have friends who can't go anywhere for more than a few hours at a time because they can't leave the stove.
Only downside is all the kindling and small splits I'm going through with daily start-ups.

I usually lite a fire 3 times a year. when it first gets cold, when we get home from thanksgiving, and when we return from Christmas. when we leave for more than the burn time of the stove we turn the hot water heater off and let the water trickle to keep the pipes from freezing. we have no other heat just wood. as far as the house being chilly what do you think the throws on the couch, lovseat, and recliners are for (not for decoration).

Status
Not open for further replies.