No gasket on bottom of fireplace doors?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TSWarren

Oct 11, 2023
Idaho
Hello everyone -

Longtime wood burner, first time posting. I've returned to our family home and have been doing maintenance on our fireplace inserts. In replacing the door gaskets, I've noted that two of them did not have gasket material along the bottom of the glass doors. I don't know if this is for airwash, or just that my Dad at the time didn't have enough gasket material on hand and didn't want to go into town.

My thoughts would be to have gasket material all around each door, but I wanted to check and see if there's a legitimate reason to leave it off the bottom of the doors.

Our inserts are fairly standard, perhaps made by Country (one is definitely an E260 Elite, the other two aren't branded, but are likely from the same company.

Thanks for any help.

-Ted / Idaho

There should be a full gasket around the door perimeter on the E260 and likely on the others. This should have an OEM gasket replacement, six feet, 7/8" diameter, part H5639.
Can you post some pictures of the stoves for ID?

The other two are Welenco, and I think you're right, they all should have full gaskets. I already put a full 7/8 in. replacement on the E260. Just wanted to check because both of the others were lacking gasket at the bottom, to be sure. It's likely my Dad was just trying to avoid a trip to town.

Thanks for the quick reply begreen....

IMG_9992.JPG IMG_9991.JPG IMG_9990.JPG IMG_9989.JPG

The Welencos look like old, pre-EPA inserts. The company is still in business, but not making stoves anymore.
[email protected].
208-743-5525

If the Welencos are slammer installations, note that is no longer approved. Also, it looks like the hearth protection is too short. It should be at least 16" in front of the insert door.

Last edited: