No ignition in my St Croix Hastings pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jim Kassal

Jan 8, 2019
Charlton, MA
My St Croix Hastings pellet stove is about 15 years old. It’s been running fine all these years except for a couple occasions when a part failed. Recently, the combustion started to get a little sooty, and I thought I just needed to clean everything, sweep out the flue, etc. But the problem persisted and the burn pot started to accumulate creosote. Last night, the stove went out, the burn pot was loaded with pellets, the #3 light was flashing. I emptied and cleaned the burn pot and attempted to start the stove . Everything went as normal, the auger started loading the burn pot, but there was no ignition. I turned the stove off, emptied the burn pot of pellets, and there was no sign of any warmth, so I assume the igniter is not functioning.

I do not see an igniter in the parts list so I don’t know what to do. Is the ignition a magnetic induction arrangement? I’m quite stumped. What should I do?

Aha, I found the "hot rod" - Igniter in the parts list. Is this the most likely problem?

Jim

Last edited:
Sounds like stove could use exhaust channels, back wall, and piping cleaned out with leaf blower trick if firepot is overflowing. If you can measure resistance across igniter with it unplugged, that will confirm whether it's good or bad. A good igniter should be approximately 40 ohms, a bad one will be much higher or infinite resistance.

I have a 14 year old Ravelli Pisa and must have replaced the igniter 3 or 4 times. If you couldn't feel any heat I'd say yours has died. Mine 'ticks' as it heats up, so I can hear when it's gone - no ticking = no ignition! I always like to have a spare one in the house so that I can replace a dead one immediately.

Sounds like stove could use exhaust channels, back wall, and piping cleaned out with leaf blower trick if firepot is overflowing. If you can measure resistance across igniter with it unplugged, that will confirm whether it's good or bad. A good igniter should be approximately 40 ohms, a bad one will be much higher or infinite resistance.
I second that. Do the leaf blower trick first.