No more dept store power equipment for me

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Made the mistake of getting chinese tires once, didnt last 10k .

Just like “made in Japan” meant junk two generations ago, things have changed. I’ve run Hankooks on two of my vehicles, one light truck and one sports wagon, and they’ve been as good or better than the OEM tires they replaced.

Agree... we order import tires for our dump truck and other than the odd one that seems to be out of round they are great tires and preform just as good as the name brand for a 1/4 the price..

Just like “made in Japan” meant junk two generations ago, things have changed. I’ve run Hankooks on two of my vehicles, one light truck and one sports wagon, and they’ve been as good or better than the OEM tires they replaced.
Was just a year ago i got them ,they were not that much cheaper. Im sure they make better ones for a higher price. Iv since put Goodyears on for actually less money and they are wearing fine. Got 4 215/70/15 Fuel Maxs Goodyear Tires at Sams for $140 for all 4 which is a fantastic price. Half price sale.

Our 2017 Civic came with Hancooks. I just swapped the winters on a couple weeks ago, Hancooks still have another summer or two in them. Car has over 50,000 kms on it already.

Our 2006 Civic came with Dunlops. They were absolute garbage, toast after 20,000 kms.

Our 2017 Civic came with Hancooks. I just swapped the winters on a couple weeks ago, Hancooks still have another summer or two in them. Car has over 50,000 kms on it already.

Our 2006 Civic came with Dunlops. They were absolute garbage, toast after 20,000 kms.

All tires are a compromise. It’s likely those Dunlaps had much better traction ratings than the Hankooks, and the price you pay for that performance is faster tread wear. The materials and physics involved are all pretty well known and even somewhat standardized, at this point, it’s just a matter of putting them together properly, and then selecting the right tire for the characteristics you desire.

I’ve run street legal race tires that require replacement every 3000 miles, they stuck to the road like they were made of glue, and I loved them. You might call them garbage, but I called them wonderful.

My 2011 Tacoma came with Dunlops. When I upgraded to winter/AT tires at 10,000 kms, the shop that did the work and dealt in used tires wouldn't even give me 10 bucks for them - too many defects. They couldn't even balance them.

Yes, I figured gone in 20,000 kms was pretty abnormal even for tires of the highest dry traction ratings. Don't remember balance issues - then again they weren't on there very long.

Yes, I figured gone in 20,000 kms was pretty abnormal even for tires of the highest dry traction ratings. Don't remember balance issues - then again they weren't on there very long.
Shop guy couldn't believe it, on practically new tires. Three of the four tires were either out of round or didn't run true.

Was just a year ago i got them ,they were not that much cheaper. Im sure they make better ones for a higher price. Iv since put Goodyears on for actually less money and they are wearing fine. Got 4 215/70/15 Fuel Maxs Goodyear Tires at Sams for $140 for all 4 which is a fantastic price. Half price sale.
I can almost gaurantee those goodyears you bought at sams club were not american made tires. I got goodyears at walmart once and only ran them about 2000 miles until i pulled them off. They simply could not be balanced. Walmart said they were fine so no warranty.

Reactions: Ashful
I can almost gaurantee those goodyears you bought at sams club were not american made tires. I got goodyears at walmart once and only ran them about 2000 miles until i pulled them off. They simply could not be balanced. Walmart said they were fine so no warranty.
I did get a bad set a few years ago of one of goodyears higher rated tires, the assurance line ,dry rotted within 2 yrs and wore out long before their rated miles. But these are doing great compared to the chinese set they replaced which i paid more for. I like dealing with Sams as they are very good with warranties even when the product is out of warranty. Never had any warranty issues on their tires but have on other items that they actually fully replaced or reimbursed the full price even though the product warranty itself had long expired.

Last edited:

Their was your first mistake buying from walmart.. Places like walmart and other big box stores do not have the same tire as a tire shop would sell. They may have the same name but no ware close to being the same.

Reactions: sloeffle
Their was your first mistake buying from walmart.. Places like walmart and other big box stores do not have the same tire as a tire shop would sell. They may have the same name but no ware close to being the same.
Yes i know that was my point

The chinese tires the lasted 7k came from a Tire shop that only sell tires. Jack Williams Tire. Iv put 7k or more on the good years already and they are still like new.