No one was seriously injured!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbyheater

Minister of Fire
100_0292.JPG
For a small town like Port McNeill, this makes for a big event.

100_0294.JPG

This old cruiser had just fueled up at the fuel dock. The operator turned the key to start the engine and the boat disappeared around him. From what I understand, he received only minor injuries!

100_0295.JPG
The explosion blew out the sides of the hull and lifted the cabin roof off. I do not understand how he survived and that there was no fire?

wow, amazing nobody got hurt!

What a shame, looks like a nice old wooden boat. I'm glad no one was injured. Gasoline vapors in a trapped space are very volatile.

Reactions: Scols
I forgot the vent fan a few times as a kid. Always got lucky.

Damn shame... as begreen said, looked like a nice classic wood hull!

It's interesting that it looks as though it pretty much just blew up, but didn't catch fire. Curious. Serendipitous for the owner/operator. Yes, nice old boat, a real shame.

Actually, the phenomenon has been noted in several gas (as in gaseous) explosions. Being at the epicenter is about the safest place. Furnace explosions is a common occurrence of the structure being demolished, but the person working on it walking away. I shouldn't really say common, but an example.

Yeah, it's making more sense to me the more I think about it. Cloud of explosive vapor blows, and that's it. It's over. Too fast to heat & ignite any of the combustibles.

:( What a beautiful old boat. Looks pretty impeccably loved, maintained, and modernized through her life. Lots of pride of ownership and love for her history evident in that pic. Rick

I can remember a boat exploding after a guest on the boat mistook a rod holder with a rubber cap for the fuel fill. The owner told him they would stop fueling at 20 gallons so when he was told they were done fueling he went to start the boat with a predictable result. Fortunately neither man was killed but the deck and cabin were blown clear from the boat although the hull never actually caught fire. Its a shame to see an old beauty like that one go. Theres not to many like her left.

Reactions: hobbyheater
She was a beauty. It's a tragic and probably unreplaceable loss. I hope they were at least well insured.

Reactions: hobbyheater
Hello. This was our boat, and my family. It is nice to see such positive thoughts. My husband is healing remarkably well, and my son was barely injured at all. I watched the accident happen. If you would like to read an (any) updates on things with us, please check the facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brownes-Family-Relief-FUND/497706856981128 The explosion has been deemed as a result of a propane leak. Just thought I'd share. c.

I'm sure glad to hear that your husband and son are doing well. Rick

And the photo you posted was taken two weeks before the accident :) she was beautiful.

When I walked the docks, She always stood out from all the rest tied around Her. I would like to apologize as I was unaware of the serious injures to your husband. Had I know of his injuries, the pictures would not have been posted. This was done in very bad taste on my part! I'm very glad to hear he is doing well.

Status
Not open for further replies.