noisey fan in harman p61a

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ramdez

Dec 29, 2009
eastern PA
Hello all, my pellet stove has developed a noisey fan. I'm assuming it's the combustion fan since it doesn't change with distribution RPMs. It sounds like a popcorn machine or locusts as soon as I turn the stove on.
Sometimes it goes away but I feel like it's getting worse. ** I should add that I have never cleaned any of the fans.. I'm thinking I should disconnect the stove and get at the fans and blow them out. A hunch sound is that it could be some pellet pieces bouncing around in some type of an enclosure.

Before I call for service I was curious if anyone else encountered this and if there was a simple solution. I did a search in the forums but I'm finding it's hard to come up with search terms since I can't really describe the sound too well.

Any help would be appreciate.

Last edited:
How old is the Harman? Good place to start is opening her up and cleaning out the fans ... just make sure you unplug before working in the cabinet. I'm pretty sure they are sealed bearings on the fans but if the seals are deteriorating, 3-in-1 oil for electric motors may keep you going in the short term. Cleaning both the distribution and combustion blowers should be part of your 1 ton cleaning routine...

Keep us posted...

I would review a cleaning video and get to the fan and see what's possibly causing the noise. Probably a filthy exhaust fan rubbing. Stove needs to be cleaned about every ton or so and its very important to clean the exhaust path and be careful of the exhaust probe. Good luck as the cover for the fan behind the ash bin may be a pain to remove if it has not been cleaned and lubed up with never seize grease.

I've had this issue before. Its the bearing on the back of the combusion fan. Link to my thread: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...-combustion-blower-motor.142143/#post-1916526

For your situation, here is what I would do:
Remove ash pan.
Remove cover plate for combusion blower.
Take a 1inch paint brush, clean the fan blades (have a ash vaccum or some type of vaccum to suck up the fines). Brush behind the fan blades. Take air compressor or can of compress air and blow behind the fan blades. Vaccum up the ash. Put the cover plate and ash ban back on.

Remove the left rear shield to view the combustion blower. Vaccum/Blow out dust.
Now on the back of the combustion motor, you'll see a little wheel (enclosed in a metal housing). Get 3-1 Oil and place 1/2 drops on this little wheel. This wheel is suppose to turn (for me it would sometimes turn just a little).

With the shield still off, turn on the stove. The noise should be gone and the wheel should be spinning very freely. If you still have a sound, place a few more drops of oil.

If the sound still exists after oiling, then you would need a new combustion blower.

Reactions: Lake Girl
Thanks all- I appreciate all the comments.

I've had the stove for 4 years (16 tons) and I do clean the stove strictly after each ton. The exhaust fan and probe get's cleaned too but it's difficult to do much more to the exhaust fan except go crazy on it with a brush. The distribution fan has never had any fur or dust on it so I never removed it but do peak in there when I have the back off. I've never taken the left panel off so never looked at the combustion fan but I'm going to check that out tonight and lube it up.

Is there a better or more thorough way of cleaning the exhaust fan other than just taking that cover off and cleaning it with a brush? anyway to lube this?

There is a better and more thorough method but one needs to remove the stove outside:) Take a good look behind the stove panels as suggested and you may find a unhealthy amount of dust bunnies nesting in the fan motors and sometimes on the control board. I would remove the room fan and see about the amount of dust and dirt sticking to the fins. Its just 2 bolts and 2 wires.
I know I am glad I got the stove detailing done as today we are having dropping temps and sustained winds over 30mph. Was 89 yesterday and woke up to 53 and falling.

I've had this issue before. Its the bearing on the back of the combusion fan. Link to my thread: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...-combustion-blower-motor.142143/#post-1916526

For your situation, here is what I would do:
Remove ash pan.
Remove cover plate for combusion blower.
Take a 1inch paint brush, clean the fan blades (have a ash vaccum or some type of vaccum to suck up the fines). Brush behind the fan blades. Take air compressor or can of compress air and blow behind the fan blades. Vaccum up the ash. Put the cover plate and ash ban back on.

Remove the left rear shield to view the combustion blower. Vaccum/Blow out dust.
Now on the back of the combustion motor, you'll see a little wheel (enclosed in a metal housing). Get 3-1 Oil and place 1/2 drops on this little wheel. This wheel is suppose to turn (for me it would sometimes turn just a little).

With the shield still off, turn on the stove. The noise should be gone and the wheel should be spinning very freely. If you still have a sound, place a few more drops of oil.

If the sound still exists after oiling, then you would need a new combustion blower.

So that's def the bearing that's making the noise. I added some 3-1 and it quieted down a little but when turning the fan by hand I can actually see it whobble .. Tho I can't feel any play.

Any chance you'd know where I could price replacement combustion fans? :-D

Amazon 101 and better find a new fan too as they usually freeze on

Amazon 101 and better find a new fan too as they usually freeze on

So I found a fan on Amazon but it looks nothing like the 2 fan blades on the back of my stove. The one I found on Amazon has a fan and motor but my stove has a fan near the stove, motor, then another fan. Could I not be looking at the right part?

Eh, guess this answers my q "Earlier Harman stoves had a fan on the rear side of this motor with a black plastic cover; this is no longer being used, this is the correct replacement. "

just checked Amazon and the unit by esesstoves is a gleason avery replacement going for 99.99 +-
Gleason is a good motor assembly. Read the specs and is for all the newer stoves.

Reactions: Washed-Up
Status
Not open for further replies.