Noisy Fan?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BradenLP

Dec 7, 2020
Utah
Hey everyone!
I’m new to the page, but have had a wood burning stove in my homes since a little kid. Now, I’m a homeowner and have my own.
I have a question I hope somebody has some insight for... The fan on my stove worked fine when I moved in. However, now when it kicks on and off I hear a scratchy noise. It’s only when it starts and slows down...
I know as heat happens, in the fan and stove, things will expand and move... I’ve taken it apart and cleaned it multiple times. I’ve also put a drop or two of lubricating oil on the shaft into the bearings... I’ve adjusted and taken the fan off about a dozen times but still makes the noise. Any ideas what it could be? I’ve attached a video of the fan making the noise and also a picture of its data tag. Thanks everyone for your time! Noisy Fan?

Attachments

• IMG_0315.MOV
    19.7 MB
Check the clearance of the fan blades and motor shaft at the front, right where it attaches to the stove. When it is running the fan generates thrust pushing itself back, so it may clear while running at full speed but then when you turn it off it can flex forward enough to scrape. Just a thought.

Last edited: