non-black cast iron finish?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmils

Nov 17, 2018
Saco, ME
I have installed a Trolla 109 in my house. It burns great. It's covered in surface rust, with no signs of paint or polish. I like the way it looks but I want to protect it for the future. I haven't been able to find any stove polishes that don't add a black color. What can I use to prevent continual rusting but not change the dark brown color? I tested some insulator wax (used for cars) on the back, and it's made a light brown spot, which I don't really like. Can I try some brown shoe polish? What else gets used on cast iron?

I have installed a Trolla 109 in my house. It burns great. It's covered in surface rust, with no signs of paint or polish. I like the way it looks but I want to protect it for the future. I haven't been able to find any stove polishes that don't add a black color. What can I use to prevent continual rusting but not change the dark brown color? I tested some insulator wax (used for cars) on the back, and it's made a light brown spot, which I don't really like. Can I try some brown shoe polish? What else gets used on cast iron?
Paint