• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jkinder

Dec 4, 2022
Kentucky
Hello,

I'm wanting to build a non-combustible Alcove. If I were to build walls with 4in of cement blocks and 4 in of refractory brick (lining the inside of the alcove), a top of the same material and a hearth of 4in of refractory brick would that be considered a non-combustible alcove? Would I be able to place the back wall where it is touching the drywall and wood studs?

Thank you

The "refractory bricks" would be the kiln-dried bricks not the expensive refractory brick you put inside of the stove.

The "refractory bricks" would be the kiln-dried bricks not the expensive refractory brick you put inside of the stove.
Well your plan for the walls is fine other than you need a foundation to support it. In which case the floor takes care of it self just pour a slab on that foundation and lay what ever floor you want on it. Standard size firebrick are actually more expensive than the half thickness ones used in stoves or even the pumice ones.

Well your plan for the walls is fine other than you need a foundation to support it. In which case the floor takes care of it self just pour a slab on that foundation and lay what ever floor you want on it. Standard size firebrick are actually more expensive than the half thickness ones used in stoves or even the pumice ones.
Thank you!

It's an exterior wall so the back would be supported by cinder blocks and I do plan on reinforcing the floor joists under it.

I was talking about bricks like this. Do you think these would be appropriate?

Screenshot_20221204-063947_Lowe's.jpg

Thank you!

It's an exterior wall so the back would be supported by cinder blocks and I do plan on reinforcing the floor joists under it.

I was talking about bricks like this. Do you think these would be appropriate?

View attachment 304492
What stove is this for? Those are just standard brick you would need 10" of solid masonry using those instead of the 8" required if using firebrick

It's for the Pleasent Hearth WSL-2200-B
Ok so you need an r value of 2 on the hearth for that stove. I would suggest just going to the ground with masonry foundation cutting out the framing and pouring a slab.

Actually I would recommend just installing the stove freestanding as intended. Why do you want to build this alcove?

Mostly for aesthetics and trying to reduce clearance. Do you have any opinions on how to reduce clearance and how much of a clearance reduction that would be?

Mostly for esthetics and trying to reduce clearance. Do you have any opinions on how to reduce clearance and how much of a clearance reduction that would be?
Honestly the easiest way would be to get a different stove. Spending the money you would spend on this alcove would probably easily get you a better stove with much lower clearances. An ember protection only hearth requirement and it will probably last longer.

So your building a hole to stick a radiant stove in?

Honestly the easiest way would be to get a different stove. Spending the money you would spend on this alcove would probably easily get you a better stove with much lower clearances. An ember protection only hearth requirement and it will probably last longer.
Thank you. I appreciate it. You're right. I'm very new to wood stove and I didn't realize the large difference in clearance and what is allowed between stoves. I guess I figured it would be more standardized. You brought up the R value of 2 and I was not expecting that, I must've over looked that in the manual.

I also realized how heavy something like my first thought would be after you brought that up.

If possible maybe I could build an alcove out of metal studs and cement board.

Do you have any recommendations on a wood that would be appropriate for an alcove? I'm wanting to stick around the $1500 range.
I'm wanting to something like this.

62449f640d43476d2f9a3f33c9c8482d.jpg

Thank you. I appreciate it. You're right. I'm very new to wood stove and I didn't realize the large difference in clearance and what is allowed between stoves. I guess I figured it would be more standardized. You brought up the R value of 2 and I was not expecting that, I must've over looked that in the manual.

I also realized how heavy something like my first thought would be after you brought that up.

If possible maybe I could build an alcove out of metal studs and cement board.

Do you have any recommendations on a wood that would be appropriate for an alcove? I'm wanting to stick around the $1500 range.
I'm wanting to something like this.

View attachment 304664
The wood stove would not be the primary heat source. It's to supplement a heat pump and propane wall heaters. The propane is used during a power outage. So I'm not too worried about the Sq ft coverage but would like to sick around 1800.