Non-combustible mantels

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Starting a thread for folks that are looking for non-combustible mantels. These are very realistic, but made from concrete:

MagraHearth website

Last edited:
Stoll Industries makes some metal mantel shelves for a clean modern look.

I am installing a wood stove in my fireplace, sothe old wooden mantel had to go. I searched online for non-combustible mantels and found quite a few, but none I really liked. Furthermore, the ones that came close to what I was looking for were absurdly expensive (~$1000 or more), so I decided to make my own. It is 6 ft long and 9" deep - constructed out of sheet metal with soapstone tile inlay around the edges.

PXL_20221231_155952751.jpg PXL_20221231_160023958.jpg

That looks real nice! Always more rewarding when you can make something yourself. I recently added a mantle to ours, but it sits higher(due to clearances), because it's half of an old barn beam.

Wouldn't you still need to worry about clearance to any combustibles sitting on the mantle?
Possibly - we'll see how hot it gets. I am guessing that the bottom surface will get quite hot, but the top one much less. I put the clock on a little soapstone plinth, since I have lots of leftover tile pieces.

Wouldn't you still need to worry about clearance to any combustibles sitting on the mantle?
The top of my Woodstock Keystone is 24" below my 2-1/8" thick bluestone mantle, and while the bottom is warm, the top of the mantle is no warmer than room temperature.

Stoll Industries makes some metal mantel shelves for a clean modern look.

I just installed one above my FPX. Stoll makes awesome products!

9D39B2D3-0BA9-401B-BCC2-B14E81694F21.jpeg image.jpg

Reactions: Rachy and begreen