Non combustible wall construction concerns

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Muskokaontario

Feb 22, 2020
Canada
I'm in need of some advice on a material for a non combustible wall - specifically, a cement type panel that can take heavy stones without failing and is resistant to higher temperatures. What makes this build more complex is that:

1) require minimum 7/8 inch air space between combustible wall and non combustible wall which also requires min 1 to 3 inch air space at bottom and top for air flow. Thus the wall will be a floating wall. (I already determined that 7/8 furring channels at 18 gauge with minimum G60 hot dip galvanization must be used as per Durock. Durock says 20 guage but 20 guage doesn't give the G60 galvanization, so I must use 18 gauge).

2) wall has halved stones glued on using flexbond. Wall weighs 1500 lbs and is floating due to air space requirements at the bottom.

3) planned on using durock cement board where durock states its product is good to hold 15lbs per square foot, but I'm at 26 lbs per square foot, over the safe rating.

4) durock is rated for up to 190 deg F before it starts to degrade. This wall is about 8 inches from the back of my fireplace and may reach a higher temp. I'm worried that the higher weight and temperature may cause a failure of the attached stone.

5) my fireplace installer said there should be no furring channels directly behind the fireplace (about 2 feet), but durock states a span of two feet reduces the carrying load of durock further, which increases a risk of failure due to weight.

I need help with sourcing a superior cement board, that can take greater loads and temperature, than Durock. Please let me know of any such products.

Can you back up and describe what you are doing? Is this for a ZC or masonry fireplace installation? What is existing? Pics are always welcome.

It's a Vermont casting wood stove. With the non combustible wall, I am able to bring the stove closer to the non combustible wall as long as I have the 1 inch air space.

I don't know, a 1500 lb heat shield is a bit concerning. That is the weight of three wood stoves hanging off your wall. You might want to get an engineer involved. @Highbeam, what do you think?

It's a Vermont casting wood stove. With the non combustible wall, I am able to bring the stove closer to the non combustible wall as long as I have the 1 inch air space.

Is that actually specified in the owner’s manual? You can’t apply generic reductions to the specified clearance to combustibles listed in the manual unless that manual actually allows for it.

I would consider a different construction method. A brick wall faced with your stone. The gap on the bottom doesn’t need to be continuous. What’s under this area to support the weight? Wood framing?

VC has protected wall charts, which model?
2) wall has halved stones glued on using flexbond. Wall weighs 1500 lbs and is floating due to air space requirements at the bottom.
What is the relationship of this wall to the heat shield? Can you post a picture or a sketch of what is planned. Note that the glue is considered a combustible and not appropriate for a heat shield wall.

Reactions: moresnow