Noob on gas inserts and a question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MarkWo

Oct 18, 2018
Woodbury Minnesota
My wife and I purchased a cabin that came with an old wood fireplace that has since been converted to a gas insert. The insert is a Heat N Glo Grand I35. Nice unit and we use it quite a bit.

The way it works is there is a wall switch away from the fireplace. We flip on the switch and wait until we hear a beep. About 30 seconds after that, we have a remote unit that we push a button which turns on the pilot light and eventually the fireplace turns on. Love the unit, until about 5 minutes of it being on some fans kick in and man ar they noisy. It is at this time I usually turn the fireplace off as the noise kind of ruins the ambiance. My question, is there anyway to turn off the blowers or do I need to unhook them?

I can't find the exact Heat N Glo remote number but found one exactly like it on the web. The model is a Skytech Smart Stat III. It has an LCD screen and a mode button on the front. You open a door and it exposes 4 new buttons - set, up, timer, and down.

I have ne desire to any room with the fireplace, just provide a nice, quiet atmosphere.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks -

Mark

There should be a rheostat to control the blower speed on the face
plate in front of the valve & below the firebox glass.
This can also be used to turn the blower OFF.

There should be a rheostat to control the blower speed on the face
plate in front of the valve & below the firebox glass.
This can also be used to turn the blower OFF.
Perfect. I believe I have read that. No harm will come to the fireplace or anything getting too hot without the blower. I figure the blower is only there to put warm air into the room and as it appears to be an optional item, not having it there, or turning it off are the same thing. Maybe turning the fan speed down would be acceptable. Way too loud now.

Thank you very much

Reactions: DAKSY
Well just as suggested this was easy. Take off the bottom cover and turn the rheostat off. I tried to lower the fan speed and this the noise but it wasn’t that much difference so off it went.

Good deal. Love having the fireplace on but the noise was so distracting.

Thanks for the help

Well just as suggested this was easy. Take off the bottom cover and turn the rheostat off. I tried to lower the fan speed and this the noise but it wasn’t that much difference so off it went.

Good deal. Love having the fireplace on but the noise was so distracting.

Thanks for the help

You're welcome. I WILL say that if you look further into the situation, there ARE ways to mitigate or eliminate the blower noise. Check your manual to see how to access it & when you figure out how to get to it, vacuum it out completely. Many times, the noise is caused by pet hair & dust on the shaft or on the blades. Another trick is to apply some tape gasket to the surfaces of the blower unit that make contact with the insert body. Cushioning can minimize the harmonics between the blower & the sheet metal...

I bought a new reostat for my stove it wouldnt shut it down enough howled so I went to a dimmer switch worked perfect. It slows the fan down to a whisper!

I bought a new reostat for my stove it wouldnt shut it down enough howled so I went to a dimmer switch worked perfect. It slows the fan down to a whisper!

You may want to be careful with that, they use rheostats because the low speed will typically be high enough of a voltage (approx 85-93 V)to not harm the blower motor. Stepping down too low via a dimmer will (supposedly) put more wear on the motor and potentially burn it out faster.