Noob questions -- Shelter 2631

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

puck16

Dec 23, 2022
Minnesota
Hey all -- our house has a Shelter 2631 in the basement installed by one of the previous owners, and I'm starting to mess around with learning the ropes. Couple questions that the (woefully non-descriptive) manual didn't really address and things that I wanted to make sure I was understanding.

- The flue temp varies quite a bit from when I first load the box to when I go to reload it -- is there something to do with the spin draft on the ash door and/or the vent on the draft blower that can help regulate that, or is it just the nature of the beast as the wood is consumed? The manual seems to indicate this should be able to be maintained more than what I'm seeing.

- On that note, I understand the flue temp is important to reduce creosote buildup and maintain draft. Am I correct in assuming that the temp is less of a concern as far as maintaining the draft as long as there's a decent amount of wind helping to generate draft at the exit of the chimney, or is that not a significant factor?

- I'm not clear on the role of the spin draft on the ash door. Does it exist solely to provide better airflow by being pulled up from below the fire by the draft blower, or something else? Is there a good way to gauge the relationship between the spin draft and the vent on the blower, and where those should respectively be set?

Appreciate any thoughts!

Spin draft on the ash door is only needed for burning coal I believe...