Normal ash production?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sorka

Dec 13, 2007
Merced, CA
Just finished my first bag of pellets. The ash bin has about 1 tbl spoon of ash. Almost nothing. Is this normal? Is it likely most of the ash is going out the exhaust? Maybe I'm running with the damper too far open?

After burning just over a ton of pellets this year so far I have only emptied my ash pan once and it maybe fills a 2 gallon ash can up 1/4 just dumped in and all fluffy.

At my rate, I'll produce about 1/4 cup after 7 40lb bags. That's a lot different than 3/4 gallon. Can the brand of pellets make that much difference?

packerfan said:
sorka said:
At my rate, I'll produce about 1/4 cup after 7 40lb bags. That's a lot different than 3/4 gallon. Can the brand of pellets make that much difference?

The brand can make a big difference.

Yeap, there ARE standards for producing and labeling pellets, unfortunately there is not really any way to enforce them right now that I am aware of. So it's kind of a mystery when you buy a new brand of pellets.

my view (as stated often) is "one mans trash is another mans treasure" when it comes to pellets of the brands ive burned over the years i see subtle differences in most , some major differences. but overall there is generaly not a huge difference in most pellets as far as ash production , its where it accumulates that seems to differ. for instance "brand X" might leave a cake in the firepot but the heat exchangers stay relatively cleaner, while "brand Y" might be the opposite due to a lighter ash which flies away more. overall a premium brand of pellets should leave about a cup to 2 cups (on average) per 40 lb bag, at least thats about what i get, although i get it in different areas with different brands

in the case above though , i think you migt be getting a bit more air than necessary , which could rob you a few BTU's due to pulling the heat out faster than it needs to , this would result in not as high a heat transfer rate and a hotter exhaust

buildingmaint said:
So ,in other words my 3/4 of a gallon of ash after 7 bags is about normal ?

probably so, if you are getting less in the uit that means more is being blown into the pipes or outside, or possibyly building in an unseen area of the stove. ash content from pellet to pellet is about the same its the consistancy of the ash that determines where it ends up

Status
Not open for further replies.