Normal to go through a ton of pellets in 25 days?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an FYI... I go through about 50 bags a month with my pb150 boiler burning 24/7. The temp in my house is always above 72 when it is running. So 2 bags per day for burning 24/7 seems normal to me.

I agree on your usuage being within the normal range.

We go through about 40 pounds of nut shells a day heating a 2400 ft Ranch style home.

This is the same as a bag of pellets a day.

The biggy is the amount of BTU's that are needed to heat the Sq Footage of the home.

No free lunch, no matter what you heat with, just some products (pellets) are cheaper than others (Oil)

I would just dump in another bag of pellets and be happy to have a warm house.

Snowy

about in line with what we're using right now.

Hello

1 Ton of Pellets is not alot for this BRRRRR cold weather! LOL I use 3 tons to heat my 2,000 sqft split entry in one season. Most people seem to use around 3-4 tons.

Installing an Outside Air Kit (OAK) may help you to save on pellets. I find since the house is more comfortable, I can use 1 lower heat setting on the wood pellet stove with the OAK and that saves pellets!

Also, I’m of the opinion we should have a thermostat installed. The husband thinks I’m crazy and has some notion in his mind that its not good for the stove to kick on and off. Thoughts?

Your husband has a good point about thermostats.Yes, any millivolt thermostat will work.

However since Pellet Stoves take time to turn off and then turn back on, unlike gas and oil appliances, it is highly recommended to get a thermostat with a “Swing Temp†setting like a Skytech. This will also use less pellets!

Info from Skytech Manual Page 5 >> http://tinyurl.com/2wcu4ho
The thermo-transmitter operates the fireplace system whenever the
ROOM TEMPERATURE varies a certain number of degrees from the
SET TEMPERATURE. This variation is called the �SWING� or
TEMPERATURE DIFFERENTIAL. The normal operating cycle of a
fireplace system may be 2-4 times per hour depending on how well
the room or home is insulated from the cold or drafts. A smaller
�swing number� increases the number of cycles so the room
temperature is more constant. A larger �swing number� decreases the
number of cycles, which saves energy, in most cases. The factory
setting for the �swing number� is 2. This represents a temperature
variation of +/- 2 0 F (1 0C ) between SET temperature and ROOM
temperature which determines when the fireplace will be activate. The
�SWING� number values are:
1= +/- 1 0 F (.5 0C ), 2= +/- 2 0 F (1 0C ), 3 = +/-3 0 F (1.6 0C ).

MANUAL CHECK OF �SWING� OR TEMPERATURE DIFFERENTIAL
The operation of the factory set �THERMO SWING� can be checked by adjusting the SET TEMP 2 0 F above or below the room temperature.
This will cause the system to turn ON or OFF. Normally the system will only respond to temperature changes every two minutes. Manually
changing the SET temperature will activate the system in less than 10 seconds. If the �SWING� is changed, then a new room temperature
differential will respond. Factory setting of SWING temperature is 2 0 F.
OPERATIONAL NOTE: TO CONSERVE BATTERY POWER, CHANGES IN TEMPERATURE ARE ONLY RECORDED EVERY TWO
MINUTES. Additionally, to prevent repeated thermo-cycling of the gas appliance, the sensing unit in the transmitter will only activate the
remote receiver when the temperature change exceeds 2 0 F (1 0C ) above or below the SET (desired) temperature. However, if the
�SWING� setting has been changed from the factory setting (2 0 F /10C ), then thermo-cycling will activate at the new setting of the �SWING�
number.
MANUAL CHECK OF THERMO OPERATION
The operation of the Thermo setting can be checked on demand by adjusting the SET temperature 2 0 F above or below the room
temperature, which will cause the system to turn ON or OFF, respectively. Normally, however, the system will only respond to temperature
changes every two minutes. NOTE: if �SWING� number has been changed, then activation will occur at the new �SWING� setting.
When the gas fireplace system is activated, a FLAME icon will display on the LCD screen indicating a signal has been sent from the
transmitter.
OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS

From your stoves manual:
Consumption on Low
1.7 lb/hr (0.77 Kg/hr)*
Consumption on High
7.6 - 8.3 lb/hr (3.45-3.76 Kg/hr)*

If you ever need to run it on high, you will burn 5 bags a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.