North Country Softies, Yuk!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Phil Do's fire.

Minister of Fire
Dec 16, 2012
Hyde Park, NY
I read so many good about these pellets. What I found was not the case, read on!

My tried and true Palazzetti with 23,000 hours was the test animal. Stove is a very fussy pellet miser. Pellets purchased last week @ Slaters Pellets (real nice people) in Cairo, NY. Here is my real world unofficial report.
  • The bags are TERRIBLE and will break open easily.
  • Average fines in bag
  • Smell-O-meter slight wood smell, pellet looks nice but very small
  • Temp is OK with ABOVE average ash
  • Wax like build up in burn pot, must clean burn pot after burning every 1/3rd of a bag
  • Co-workers have tried with same disappointing results
  • No Clinkers, burn pot plugs up
Maybe I got a bad batch, worst pellet I have used in 10 years, 1 Star

I read so many good about these pellets. What I found was not the case, read on!

My tried and true Palazzetti with 23,000 hours was the test animal. Stove is a very fussy pellet miser. Pellets purchased last week @ Slaters Pellets (real nice people) in Cairo, NY. Here is my real world unofficial report.
  • The bags are TERRIBLE and will break open easily.
  • Average fines in bag
  • Smell-O-meter slight wood smell, pellet looks nice but very small
  • Temp is OK with ABOVE average ash
  • Wax like build up in burn pot, must clean burn pot after burning every 1/3rd of a bag
  • Co-workers have tried with same disappointing results
  • No Clinkers, burn pot plugs up
Maybe I got a bad batch, worst pellet I have used in 10 years, 1 Star
Unfortunately, sometimes it doesn’t pay to try different stuff!

They burn just fine in my Harman. Yes the bags are weak!

I wouldn't have even tried these if Okanagan was still in business. One of my co-workers tried a bag with the same results and he has a Harman!

I wouldn't have even tried these if Okanagan was still in business. One of my co-workers tried a bag with the same results and he has a Harman!
next up in the[real] top of the line softwoods are the Ez Blaze super premiums..
high 80's BTU's with powdery ash leftover...... the poor man's excellent softwoods at a much lower price..
i paid 249.00 ton. same price HD charges for mediocre hardwoods like stove chows and walmart for penningtons, lowes green supremes and so on.....
no brainer there

EZ Blaze premium..good to know. There $320. a ton where I live. Most are around $300. a ton in my area. I will give them a try, Thank you!