Northeast Forest Products Equipment Expo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Johnson

Mod Emeritus
Nov 18, 2005
Central NYS
Some of you know that part of my day job involves putting on a forest products industry trade show, the Northeastern Forest Products Equipment Expo, which is going to be held this May 9-10 in Essex Junction, VT. Even though our primary audience is loggers and sawmillers, there's plenty of equipment on display that would be of interest to anyone who cuts or burns wood. We've always had a large number of OWB manufacturers and dealers exhibiting at the show, probably because the attendees tend to have access to free or cheap wood in large quantities.

But I'm really thrilled to see that Econoburn is going to be at the show this year, displaying their gasification boilers. I think the gasification thing is going to be a big hit with this crowd. The people I've talked to recently in the industry seem as concerned as the rest of us about wood consumption and smoke production, so I believe Econoburn is going to have a good show. It would be a good place to see one up close, in addition to everything else on display. Hopefully we can attract even more gasifiers in the coming weeks as the show sells out.

Attendance is free if you preregister here: http://www.nefpexpo.net before April 15.

I'll be there, driving a forklift, taking pictures, putting out fires, etc., so if you do come, be sure to look me up.

The last union gig we did was Niagara Falls in 1984. Never again.

We've done Bass Park in Bangor, ME, the Big E in W. Springfield, the NYS Fairgrounds in Syracuse and Champlain Valley Exposition in Essex Jct. No union requirement in any of those, but I do have a forklift operator's license, so watch out! If you get into the big union venues like Javits Center in NYC or McCormack Place in Chicago, you can't plug in a lightbulb without paying some guy $75. Pretty quick, that prices those places right out of most people's league. Our forklift service is free. You get what you pay for (me).

We get better than 6,000 people attending and more than 200 exhibiting companies. Most of the attendees come from VT, NY and NH. So quite a few, especially considering that it's a lot easier to go N/S in New England than E/W. Because we have the show in Bangor, ME when we're not in Essex, we get a lot of Mainers coming across via Route 2.

The guy from Econoburn told me there's some kind of a Green Expo going on that same weekend just up the road in Burlington, so it might be a good two-fer.

I'll be there for sure. I think I was the first person to sign up for it, if I remember right.

It's just up the road for me. Essex is a couple of towns north of us, just past the box store ghetto in Williston.

I just went to another green expo in Burlington. They had some interesting lighting technologies, as well as a breathtakingly expensive solar hot water system. No high efficiency variable speed circulators, though.

You were, in fact, Numero Uno, nofossil. There's a prize for that, but I can't reveal what it is until you get to the show. You'll just have to wait.

I just heard that EKO and BioMax will be represented as well, through a dealer.

So it should be fun.

More like Old Swillinlager.

If all goes according to plan, you get the Smuttynose before the show.

Another forum member contacted me and came over to see my installation. My teenage daughter was horrified. "You have some guy you met on the Internet coming to our house?"

I guess some of the warnings over the years must have sunken in a little.

hehehe. One of usernames someone had at a forum I was at was "getinmyvanihavecandy." Don't bring him over to the house.

Ok, wait a second. . .NoFo is pickin' up guys on the 'Net??? :roll: :lol: :gulp:

But seriously, no matter what my screenName is here, do NOT have me over to check out your install if Your wife or your daughter is over 18 ;-)

Anyway . . .Eric . . . is that wood log-bridge by the side of 28 outside White Lake yours? Cause I'm thinkin it would supply my heat and DHW till summer gets here

Help yourself, Jimbo. It has nothing to do with me. It is a neat looking bridge, though. I'm not sure what they're doing down there. In past years I've seen logging equipment and they muddied the road up pretty good, but it looks like they're going back in for more of the same.

Our property is just south of Thendara, on the right as you're headed north. Flatrock Mountain. There's a phone tower on the peak at the south end. The State highway rest area is roughly in the middle. "My" woodlot is just north of that where the snowmobile trail comes down to the road. Yellow metal gate just past the log cabin. If the gate is open after 5:00 p.m. in the summer, it means I'm up there cutting/loading wood.

Right by the Minnehaha road? Or north of there?

North of Scusa Road, which is also the Minnehaha road all to where the snowmobile trail crosses the highway. It goes back to the railroad tracks. The camps and other houses along the highway were subbed off before we bought it. Now the state holds the development and recreation rights.

Blue Forge just bought a space at the show. So that's at least three gasifiers, where last year there were none. I'm still hoping for Tarm, Garn and Greenwood.

I talked to Tim at Windy Ridge and he wasn't planning to bring a boiler. However, I'll probably let him know about the others, and maybe he'll change his mind. I'd like to see one up close.

I may just have to make the trip up. Do you think this would make a good stop for someone interested in going the wood furnace/boiler route - maybe this fall?

BTW - any beer lovers that go here and do not stop at the Alchemist are nuts!

Absolutely. There will be at least three different gasification boilers there, as well as a slew of OWBs and other more conventional technologies on display. You can talk to everyone and see all the different models. And get some of that good beer while you're at it. Pre-registration is free before April 30.

Here, here! Northeast Regional Hearth Forum members meeting at the Alchemist is hereby being called!

That's one of my favorite places in the whole world.

I wish I was closer than about 1500 miles, because it would be fun to meet the faces behind the wealth of expertise on this fourm.

Eric, I signed up today. I will probably fly to Burlington Intl. Its a 1hr flight compared to a 3hr drive. Wondering if you know how far from the airport the show is. My daughter and co pilot (trehugr) are always looking for a reason to fly. Am also looking forward to meeting you and others with the sme passion for efficency.

Status
Not open for further replies.