Not a wood geek, but…

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Investment Camper

Apr 12, 2022
Hampstead, MD
So I’m splitting oak that I know will have two years to dry. I’m splitting the oak a little fatter than I have been splitting. Not because of laziness, I feel that the wood, stacked off the ground on pallets in a well ventilated part of the property with full sun exposure, should dry everything in 2 years. So a fatter log just burns longer. I know everyone says 2 to 3 years for oak…but my gut says two years for this oak will be good with fatter logs. Lots of variables, I know. How big a log? Current moisture content? Maryland climate? Is it a drier year than others? Wind patterns? I guess I’m not really asking a question. These are just the things I think about. I have a moisture meter I’ll let you know in 2 years 😎

If you'll need some of it in 2 yrs, Id split some smaller. Good to have options

Yeah i'd mix in some smaller splits too. 2 years for fresh cut green red oak in MD will be ok, but probably just ok. Not kick butt. I'm in NJ and i burn 95% red oak.

you could speed it up with a solar kiln set up of course.

I live in MA with I'm assuming a little less humidity than MD on average and I burn primarily red oak and red maple. I have an A+ drying location and keep the wood top covered. The maple only takes 1 year to be usable and 2 years it's perfect. The red oak smaller splits 2 years is plenty but with the larger splits there is a HUGE difference between 2 and 3 years. It goes form being decent wood that's a little tough to get going to nuclear fuel that just burns forever. I can't stress enough how much better it is after that extra year.

If you have the space and supply Id second the notion of splitting some smaller to use at the 2 year mark while the larger splits get that magical 3rd year. You won't be disappointed.

Reactions: bigealta
If you want to speed up drying look at making a solar kiln. I'd say you're being optimistic on drying times for big splits of oak. Split smaller it will dry faster.

If you want to speed up drying look at making a solar kiln. I'd say you're being optimistic on drying times for big splits of oak. Split smaller it will dry faster.
If he uses a solar kiln for the oak, what kind of timeline could be expected? I know it's not an exact science but if I split and stack red oak today, get it in a solar kiln this spring, would it be ready to burn by next season?

If you split it regular sized (no chonkers) and put the kiln in an A+ spot it'll absolutely be ready in one summer. If everything is only built eh and the location is only mediocre probably not.

Reactions: AsylumResident
If he uses a solar kiln for the oak, what kind of timeline could be expected? I know it's not an exact science but if I split and stack red oak today, get it in a solar kiln this spring, would it be ready to burn by next season?
@Woodsplitter67 is the person that can answer your question

So I’m splitting oak that I know will have two years to dry. I’m splitting the oak a little fatter than I have been splitting. Not because of laziness, I feel that the wood, stacked off the ground on pallets in a well ventilated part of the property with full sun exposure, should dry everything in 2 years. So a fatter log just burns longer. I know everyone says 2 to 3 years for oak…but my gut says two years for this oak will be good with fatter logs. Lots of variables, I know. How big a log? Current moisture content? Maryland climate? Is it a drier year than others? Wind patterns? I guess I’m not really asking a question. These are just the things I think about. I have a moisture meter I’ll let you know in 2 years 😎

So if your splitting your oak thick.. a shed with a southern facing exposure will be the best.. you a little south of me so were pretty much the same climate. You want a large overhang around the shed .. like 20 inches in the fron and at least 12 i
for sides and back.. My oak is ready to go in 2 years.. 3 is like super premium.. You want the shed ventilated.. but not super open on the sides and back

20210221_115604.jpg

So your north and the drying season is short for you. In my area you could dry 2 loads per season.. your only one.. You could split your wood and stack it this spring.. make the kiln in mid june and by mid August your wood will be ready. It doesn't matter to much on thickness.. so split as thick as you want.. 4x5 inches is fine it will dry.. your wood should end up like 16% MC. If you look in my signature there are a couple of threads on how to with results For your first time.. stick with how I put it together.. the results will be good.. you can do anywhere from a 1 to 3 cord kiln pretty easily

Doing the kilns is actually how I got myself ahead.. I did the same for my neighbor.. both of us for 2 years burned kiln dried wood while we filled our woodsheds.. It really is pretty cool..

So if your splitting your oak thick.. a shed with a southern facing exposure will be the best.. you a little south of me so were pretty much the same climate. You want a large overhang around the shed .. like 20 inches in the fron and at least 12 i
for sides and back.. My oak is ready to go in 2 years.. 3 is like super premium.. You want the shed ventilated.. but not super open on the sides and back

View attachment 320693
I’m going to have to split much smaller. I’m in a suburban neighborhood and have limited options for stacking. Unfortunately my stacks, following my fence line , will be facing NE and E. The stacks are up on pallets that are on cinder blocks and have good airflow. The wind definitely blows around here. Both stacks also get sun so that will be a benefit. I really can’t kiln dry but I might have a secondary location on a friend’s farm I could stage it, and then get what I need. Hmmm. The stacks look nice here but I could be way more efficient. Definitely things to consider.

I’m going to have to split much smaller. I’m in a suburban neighborhood and have limited options for stacking. Unfortunately my stacks, following my fence line , will be facing NE and E. The stacks are up on pallets that are on cinder blocks and have good airflow. The wind definitely blows around here. Both stacks also get sun so that will be a benefit. I really can’t kiln dry but I might have a secondary location on a friend’s farm I could stage it, and then get what I need. Hmmm. The stacks look nice here but I could be way more efficient. Definitely things to consider.

I know your saying about splitting thinner. Split a mix.. Keep your thicker splits.. Thick splits burn slow and long dont miss out on that. Thick is what I use for overnight and long burns. Split thin.. to get it going.. medium to build a good coal bed.. large of the long haul.

Staging some in another area isn't such a bad idea. I had to do that when getting my supply together..

I'd say divide the pile in half, split one half a bit smaller and the other half a bit larger and see what happens as far as drying, you may have a good yard with air flow and both stacks dry well, or you may realize that either you need an extra year for larger pieces or you need to split a little smaller.