Not all doom and gloom in the stove biz.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
One of our main Hearth.com sponsors, American Energy Systems (known for corn stoves) just purchased Country Flame Technologies

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/Press_Releases/mail/aes_magnum_purchase/

Country Flame has a bunch of wood units, and also pellets and corn.

Of some interest is that this company is one of the few "owner operator" companies left in the biz, started by a guy like you or me (who is still like you or me!) and who has grown slowly for a couple decades. Mike (the owner) is also a do-gooder in more ways than one, having used his factory over the years to train "wayward" youth into the welding and other trades.

So, in the midst of the time when we are hearing mostly bad news out of the industry, this is one more piece of good news. Interesting that the family owned stuff like Englander and American - are doing well, while the larger corporate companies are hurting bad. One reason is that the larger companies have a harder time adjusting to down markets.

Country Flame is just up the road from where I live. They have made a well regarded series of welded steel stoves and inserts for quite a few years now. Their reputation is that of making quality, if otherwise unexciting products. Personally, I think "unexciting" is mostly a good thing in items you buy to last for decades.

My impression has always been that their inserts have been their primary product, but that is just a feeling.

I hope they do well - Marshfield could use a few more jobs.

Mark

pretty cool web, i havent met mike , but have heard of him (kinda hard not to have in this biz) pretty sure the boss knows him. as for the gracious comment on "family owned" brands, im damned proud to work for one of them , and short of stumbling onto the winning powerball numbers i couldnt see myself leaving. when you can stick your head through a door and say "hey boss can i ask ya somthing" literally at will, makes life quite easy. better yet , watching the boss walk through the plant and have guys drop gloves and shake his hand , crack a joke, its not just "family owned" its just "family."

I think that the big businesses go under bc they get to concerned about profit and not customer satisfaction. Just my 2 cents.
Kelly

I didn't know the stove biz was down. With oil at $100 bbl, aren't they all cranking out the product, or are people just too numb to look for alternatives?

My stove is a Country Flame/Woodfield (it was a line they made for Copperfield to sell). It is a wonderful, unexciting stove, (not flashy, no drama, stick wood in, get heat out) and I hope the new owners don't mess with the stuff that works!

Status
Not open for further replies.