not cut to length garbage!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Zap, now I know why your stacks are always perfect!

KC

Zap, now I know why your stacks are always perfect!

KC

iskiatomic I'm anal but not that anal, before we bought the wood stove I started cutting wood thinking I would sell it. The hard maple was cut about 17-18 inches long which is to long for north/south loading in the Lopi Liberty so I will use it for cutting the hard maple for the overnight burns in the Liberty. Under 15 inches just to be safe.

This year should be the last for re-cutting to length.

zap

westkywood said:
If you dont want to use a table saw. Take 4 posts and make a frame that makes "a slot" to stack the wood in where the ends you wanna cut off stick out from the posts. You then just take the saw and cut off all the ends. It holds the wood in place. Make sense?? I make it about 5 feet high. I put a piece of scrap wood on the bottom so the saw doesnt hit the ground.
Looking down from the top, the posts would look something like this..

@ @
End of wood sticks out here
@ @

This is exactly what I did when I got some 24" splits this summer. I got 4 wooden stakes that I think were tomato stakes and pounded them into the ground through the slots in the pallet so I could stack a bunch of splits in-between the stakes with one end sticking out off the side of the pallet. I then cut the ends off from the top down to get 18" splits. Makes it quick when you can do 6-8 splits at a time.

Those are great ideas...guess its time to head to the tool room to build one of these devices.

Cut them to the length that is best for your stove. The chunks will burn too.
I use this to trim splits in bulk.
0526101316.jpg

The inside wood holders are placed so that if I cut flush to the outside everything is about 17". I can load both sides and cut a bunch of splits at once. I put the wheelbarrow at the end to catch the "Butts". I made a "butt box" out of pallets to store 'em in. I use them in my outside stove or inside when I know I will be around to keep reloading.

Reactions: Christopix
Cut to size, and save chunks for when you're around and can feed it a little more often.

Zap. Is that box you built only 10" deep?

bsearcey said:
Cut to size, and save chunks for when you're around and can feed it a little more often.

Zap. Is that box you built only 10" deep?

It's 14.50 so I could cut them 14.75. A guy on here built one but had 2x4's on the bottom inside attached to the legs and they extended them out past the front so it would be more stable and he also put a small 2x4 across the bottom of the plywood in the front to beef it up.

zap

Garbage? Just throw em in the Rockland!

One of these and a couple of bungee cords. It's been (sort of) settled here that sticks the max length your stove will handle burn best so don't cut 'em in half. Small ends are great for starters and fillers.

Attachments

• attic May 2010 003.jpg
    attic May 2010 003.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 629
Don't stress yourself out- cut some of them in half and do some of it in regular lengths with your "pancakes".
I don't really see too much of a downside either way. Why not experiment and see what works best for you? This way you'll know for sure and can employ the same technique down the road..... and so can we!

Status
Not open for further replies.