Not enough air it seems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

skyrebel

Jan 30, 2017
San Jose, CA
I recently had an brand new Enviro Cabello 1700 installed in my house with a new chimney liner and spark arrestor. Didn't have any of that before so had to have it all put in. Anyways, on our first firing we got it nice and hot and had the chemical smell for an hour and a half or so and then it subsided. However my issue is that even with the air all the way open it doesn't seem to be enough. If I close the door and leave the air all the way open my roaring flames die down to just s smoldering pile with very little flame. Upon looking outside it is creating a ton of smoke and will only go away when I open the door to let more air in and then it seems to burn more efficiently and there is no smoke visible. Not sure what the issue is because I was told once it got up to temperature we should be able to close the door and it should go just fine with no smoke and I should even be able to burn on one of those CA no burn days. Not that I ever would....... but now I have to crack the door every so often to get any air it seems.

Sounds like the wood may not be the driest. How tall is the chimney and what is the outdoor temp?

Wet wood is the most common issue for first year burners of newer stoves and what you describe sounds like a text book example. A check of your wood with a cheap moisture meter will answer that question. That or get your hands on some package of kiln dried wood or some lumber scraps/pallet wood and see if you get different results.

I had some wood that I was told was dry but I also have the pallet the stove came on so I will be trying that first. Never met a pallet that isnt dry.

I also have the pallet the stove came on so I will be trying that first.
Waste not want not. If you go the moisture meter route a cheapy from Harbor Freight is good enough. No need to spend more that $15 or so. Measurements are made on the face of a freshly split, room temperature split.

Normally only 2 potential culprits here, lack of chimney draft or attempting to burn wood with more than 20% moisture content, I anticipate the wood because a conscientious professional installer would have advised you regarding a chimney problem. Can't be too cold in San Jose, CA either what outside temperature are you attempting to burn at.

Pallets are normally very dry, however I have had a few left outside for a lengthy time that had soaked up lots of water, choose your pallets wisely.

Enviro manufacture quality high efficiency stoves and inserts, you will own it for many, many years, congratulations !

Beware of firewood salesmen many of them are deceitful and their wood is not seasoned sufficiently to burn very hot and well.

Last edited:
Try burning it with a window open. That will tell you if you have insufficient draft.

Try burning it with a window open. That will tell you if you have insufficient draft.
Only if the draft issue is due to lack of makeup air. There can be many other causes.

If I close the door and leave the air all the way open my roaring flames die down to just s smoldering pile with very little flame. Upon looking outside it is creating a ton of smoke and will only go away when I open the door to let more air in and then it seems to burn more efficiently and there is no smoke visible
The reason you don't see smoke with the door open is that the smoke is diluted by the fresh air, making it less visible. When you open the door, can you hear a sizzling sound, or see water bubbling out the ends of the splits? BTW, don't put too much small, dry pallet wood in the stove at one time, or you may have a "conflagration" issue when it all catches fire at once. And never walk away from the stove with the door open, it goes without saying. :oops: