Not Enough Draft With Door Closed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JoeRahn

Aug 21, 2021
Alberta
Hey Everyone,

I recently installed an osburn 1700 in my house and I cannot get a decent draft going with the door closed. If I was to close off the air at all, it would put the fire out. The wood is dry and fire is roaring before I close the door. Even with the door just cracked a bit, it burns amazing. Im leaning towards too short of a chimney, currently approx. 11 feet. To note, I have also tried opening a window in the house but it does not change results.

What are your thoughts? I attached a photo of the install and roof.

Thanks

dji_export_1635806560002.jpg 20211101_164521.jpg dji_export_1635806874369.jpg

I'm going to say your chimney is too short, 12ft is the minimum for that stove assuming a straight shot upwards, that needs to be increased when 45's are added. An extra 3ft length would likely be a big help, and might keep the neighbors happier by releasing the smoke further from ground level.

How long is the fire burning before you are closing the door?

I'm going to say your chimney is too short, 12ft is the minimum for that stove assuming a straight shot upwards, that needs to be increased when 45's are added. An extra 3ft length would likely be a big help, and might keep the neighbors happier by releasing the smoke further from ground level.
Good thinking, i'll be buying an extra 3 feet to add and let you know the outcome. By any chance do you know if it would require supports on the roof for that?

Good thinking, i'll be buying an extra 3 feet to add and let you know the outcome. By any chance do you know if it would require supports on the roof for that?

IIRC it's not needed until 5' above the last support, but your stove shop should be able to confirm that.

A brace is required at the 5' point above the roof exit of the chimney pipe. One will definitely be required here.

id measure the draft with a gauge first. How old is the wood? Test it with 2 to 3 years wood first... then as last resort add the pipe. I would use support on that setup... if you add pipe test test stove before you install support bars...

Have you used a moisture meter on the wood to make sure it's less than 20 percent? If you don't have a moisture meter, try burning some kiln dried wood, lumber scraps, etc. and see how it goes. You may have a draft issue, but what you're describing could also be caused by marginal wood.

Have you used a moisture meter on the wood to make sure it's less than 20 percent? If you don't have a moisture meter, try burning some kiln dried wood, lumber scraps, etc. and see how it goes. You may have a draft issue, but what you're describing could also be caused by marginal wood.
I have ensured that it is dry wood, tried lumber scraps as well.