Not getting complete Burns

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwhunter85

Feeling the Heat
Aug 21, 2010
Sunfield, MI
Curious when I throw in a log round, I am not getting complete burns. Cut standing dead ash last year, and it is seasoned. (18% moisture) Threw in a 22X36 round and woke up this morning to a coal bed with a lot of fine ash, little bit of hot chunks and the round still sitting there half burnt.

Curious when I throw in a log round, I am not getting complete burns. Cut standing dead ash last year, and it is seasoned. (18% moisture) Threw in a 22X36 round and woke up this morning to a coal bed with a lot of fine ash, little bit of hot chunks and the round still sitting there half burnt.
Have you ever heard the theory that it takes 2 to 3 pieces of wood to have a fire, because 1 piece loses more heat then it makes by burning, and thus burns out?

That would be my guess.

Reactions: STIHLY DAN
Wood has a max size that it can really burn with any type of reliability or efficiency. I think anything above 5 inches in round form really doesn't burn well. You can burn splits up to about 10 inches in diameter I feel. These are Deffintely not scientific numbers. Just stuff I have observed over the years burning wood.

My question is how does he know it was at 18% moisture if he obviously didn't split it before throwing it in......

Friends that I know with outdoor wood boilers typically use these these large type rounds non-split. Not sure why, but I presume since no need to split. Nevertheless, if not split probably very wet inside even if 18% on outside if it has been very dry outside. Was processing some 5 year old downed red oak the other day and one of the guys there with me states that stuff is certainly seasoned and ready to burn. Of course I know better but didn't say anything. Sure was dry on the ends but split it this weekend and was dripping on the inside. Same story we've seen hundreds of times on here. Assumption is that since it has been down for a period of time it must be dry. Obviously not so.

Reactions: Fred61
My question is how does he know it was at 18% moisture if he obviously didn't split it before throwing it in......
DING DING DING! Winner, winner, winner! Would you like crispy, or original recipe? :p

If you're dead set on being full rounds, Split it into at least quarters and throw it in. I'm sure the interior of the round was still pretty wet but it will give it a better chance either way to burn down if split alittle.

Good luck

Being dead ash it is probably fairly dry. It still needs split a couple times to burn good. If your trying to burn it in a downdraft gasser it needs split more than a couple times...

Status
Not open for further replies.