Not just an ash man

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they're split like that because your new with the maul, mine used to look just like that until my aim got better, now my splits look almost as good as Dennis' ;)

I've been on that maul for 6 yrs now........................used it for big oak splits.
Now you guys got me going for nice dry small splits:)
I'm not into perfect stacks yet but I might get there :)

Backwoods and Timusp , what I do is take a round and split it in the middle and then just start at one end with the maul and work each half. What I am learning is with straight grain wood like I have experienced with the ash and cherry is that it can be hit in any direction and still split. Before these trees I was using mostly oak which I left in bigger triangular pieces. Backwoods and timusp, it is time to give this greenhorn a lesson. I am all ears.
Thanks

Tim, take a look at these pictures. You will notice lots of square and rectangle pieces used on the ends. Makes stacking much easier and then for putting in the stove, it is easier to pack it for night burning. For sure you can not always split to get these shapes but I do as many as possible just because it works out so well for both stacking and burning.

Wood-2012c.JPG
Wood-3-4-10c.JPG

Attachments

• Wood-3-4-10c.JPG
    Wood-3-4-10c.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 94
Status
Not open for further replies.