Nother one in the books

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DAKSY

Full Time RVer
Staff member
Dec 2, 2008
Wherever we're parked
Thought we were gonna make it thru this gawd-awful winter/spring
without using too many more pellets when we got home from the south a month ago.
That's what I get for thinkin.
I hadda cut into my last ton & a half of Cleanfire Pacifics shortly after we got back to the
Vampire State.
I had cleaned to P61 before we left mid-Jan, & thought that would be it until I gave
it a thorough cleaning at the end of the burning season.
That's what I get for for thinkin.
Been burnin about a bag a day since 16 March & had a full ash pan, so I knew it was time.
It had gone out sometime in before I got up, so it was a perfect time to go thru it.
Took me longer to gather my tools together than it did for the cleaning. Hopefully, the weather
(AND the COVID-19!) will clear outta here & I will end up with about 3/4 ton left for next year...
Burn on...

Thought we were gonna make it thru this gawd-awful winter/spring
without using too many more pellets when we got home from the south a month ago.
That's what I get for thinkin.
I hadda cut into my last ton & a half of Cleanfire Pacifics shortly after we got back to the
Vampire State.
I had cleaned to P61 before we left mid-Jan, & thought that would be it until I gave
it a thorough cleaning at the end of the burning season.
That's what I get for for thinkin.
Been burnin about a bag a day since 16 March & had a full ash pan, so I knew it was time.
It had gone out sometime in before I got up, so it was a perfect time to go thru it.
Took me longer to gather my tools together than it did for the cleaning. Hopefully, the weather
(AND the COVID-19!) will clear outta here & I will end up with about 3/4 ton left for next year...
Burn on...

Just about out of corn myself. On my last 30 gallon trash can of corn / pellet mix and I have maybe 5 bags of Michigan Hardwood Pellets in the barn. I'd say I figured it just about right. Got both my propane tanks filled to 85% for next year already. The Saudi / Russian fiasco has really tanked fuel prices. Sure it won't last so I filled them both up.

Just about out of corn myself. On my last 30 gallon trash can of corn / pellet mix and I have maybe 5 bags of Michigan Hardwood Pellets in the barn. I'd say I figured it just about right. Got both my propane tanks filled to 85% for next year already. The Saudi / Russian fiasco has really tanked fuel prices. Sure it won't last so I filled them both up.

I’ve still got 1.5 tons left but I’ve been using more lately than I thought I would.

Was propane considerably down? I’ve been thinking about that and was going to call them Monday. Especially with cooking at home more I’m using it faster.

I paid $1.05 delivered. Took 430 to fill the front bottle, it was dry. Back 500 was already full and valved off. I needed a new packing on the front valve and a new seal on the dip gauge so I needed to run it out, and I did. Gauge pressure has to be at 5 psi or below to open the dip gauge up and / or replace the valve packing. Mine was leaking a wee bit. We don't use gas except for the central furnace and the shop heat. Consumers gives us a deal on power here at the farm.

Called and checked today. It’s still 1.75 ish. Same as I paid a year and a half ago and a year before that. Prices are typically lowest in August so I’ll just hold off till then.

Called and checked today. It’s still 1.75 ish. Same as I paid a year and a half ago and a year before that. Prices are typically lowest in August so I’ll just hold off till then.

Don't know how the PPG price is set in various regions. I'd be willing to bet yours comes from Sarnia, Ontario, just like mine does. Sarnia via Line 5 actually. I do know my gas distributor makes 8 cents a gallon in each gallon delivered however. That 8 cents covers the transportation and storage as well as all his overheads.

On a political note, why it's so important that Whitmer quits sandbagging Enbridge on building tunnel (at 100% their own cost) to get Line 5 off the floor of the Straits and into the tunnel ASAP. If line 5 ever failed, besides the environmental mess, the price you pay for fuel gas would triple. Whitmer and Nessel are two very amateurish politicians.

I agree, they’re willing to replace an aging pipeline for their cost, let them do it. It’s not if the existing one will fail, it’s when. And when it does fuel prices will be the least of the problems. The protesters must think if they ignore it, it’s not there.

I’m not sure where my propane comes from. But this might be the first time I’ve ever seen propane cost more per gallon than gasoline. Gas is 1.50 by my work and 1.29 just up the road. My propane runs the boiler which I only keep on standby when it’s below freezing, dryer, water heater, stove. When I had a family here a tank would last a year. Now with just me it’s 2 years.

Most likely Sarnia. The only other place is DesMonies, Iowa and that is too far west for you. The guy I hunt with happens to be my fuel supplier so I have a good handle on what comes from where. No, he don't give me a deal. I bought regular unleaded today in Dundee, Michigan for $1.14 a gallon. That is crazy. Filling the Suburban don't hurt so bad lately.