Yes you are right about that last bolt, I am understandably reluctant to mess with it for that reason lol! If it was a baffle that could easily come out I would've done this long ago, but this looks in place so I'll let it be. Hopefully by pushing whatever that was towards the back of the baffle will render it "harmless".Old rusty bolts, and its always the last one that gives you the trouble. I've seen old metal "sheet" off so maybe that's what you found? Maybe your door adjust is causing a leak while the flue is cold that you don't get after its warm and drafting good??
I wonder about the door adjustment too, but then I think back to how it wasn't an issue with the first few fires, how it only now is causing issues as the weather has changed to more cold, damp heavy air days? But I did add more gasket to it as a "hack" so maybe that is a factor but I don't think so as that only makes for a better seal, I don't know now....
I will start it soon and see what happens now that this piece of whatever has been moved back hopefully out of the way. If it still acts wacky maybe I'll one day try to remove all of the added gasket and return the latch setting as close to where it was before this season started. The ironic thing is that I adjusted it so that it would close a bit looser, but by adding some gasket here and there to make sure there was enough gasket and tight enough it's almost back to where it was before lol!
And yes one day "off season" I will bite the bullet and take the door off, remove and replace the gasket and wrestle with getting it to line up again, that is a real bear to do on this stove and at times I wish that the latch and door were NOT adjustable, that way I wouldn't run into some of these issues!
Thanks for the help, if you think of anything else please post it! It's not a huge issue but one that I'd like to remedy if I can, and you know how sometimes things like this gnaw at you until you fix it!