Nozzle fracture on Tarm Solo 30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rory

Hearth Supporter
Jan 10, 2009
Central Me
This is my 4th winter with the Tarm, and we use it year 'round for domestic hot water. I would estimate we burn around 6 cords of wood per year, so we may be approaching 25 cords total burnt since it was new. As I was cleaning out the ashes tonight, the front 2 inches or so of my nozzle broke off. I set it back where it belongs and am attempting to burn tonight with it, but I suppose it's time to replace it. I know Gus had a similar inquiry last year and I believe he said he was in his 5th year of operation at a similar consumption level, and responses seemed to indicate this was normal.

For the veterans - I suppose I need a new nozzle?
Price? (seems like 100 - 150 was mentioned in Gus's thread)
Is it an easy DIY replacement?

Thanks!

Rory said:
This is my 4th winter with the Tarm, and we use it year 'round for domestic hot water. I would estimate we burn around 6 cords of wood per year, so we may be approaching 25 cords total burnt since it was new. As I was cleaning out the ashes tonight, the front 2 inches or so of my nozzle broke off. I set it back where it belongs and am attempting to burn tonight with it, but I suppose it's time to replace it. I know Gus had a similar inquiry last year and I believe he said he was in his 5th year of operation at a similar consumption level, and responses seemed to indicate this was normal.

For the veterans - I suppose I need a new nozzle?
Price? (seems like 100 - 150 was mentioned in Gus's thread)
Is it an easy DIY replacement?

Thanks!

Just think for a moment the environment your nozzle lives in. Before you fire it is around let's say 100F. In ten minutes, it could be seeing temperatures approaching 2000F. This rapid temperature rise is eventually going to take its toll. $ 100 -$ 150 to me does not sound too expensive, if your replacement nozzle has already been cured.

Pictured below is the nozzle for the old Jetstream boiler. It costs $135.00. Changing it is not the time consuming part, the curing is what takes the time.
The worn nozzle has about five years use.
I have been making my own nozzles with good results .
Pictured below are stainless refractory needles ( refractory re bar ) used at 1 1/2 - 2 % percent of the mix .

A source for refractory cement and needles is: http://www.newhorizoncorp.com/

Another source for refractory cement is: http://www.budgetcastingsupply.com/Castable_Refractory_Kast-0-Lite-26-LI.php

Attachments

• IMGP4009.jpg
    IMGP4009.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 236
  • IMGP3706.jpg
    IMGP3706.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 245
I got ahold of Gus. he cemented his back together and got through the rest of last year and this up until just a couple of weeks ago. I cemented mine back on yesterday (just the leading 2" or so of the tube had broken off). I was able to draw the ashes out without pulling it apart this morning, so I'm hoping to finish out the year with it and probably replace it this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.