nps45 not working correctly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nastydon

Feb 25, 2012
Maine
firstly I'm on my phone so sorry for typos and if this sounds strange.

I have a Napoleon nps45 and it's been working fine for the past year, but a few nights ago it kept shutting off and the third light was flashing. Which after looking up I saw was an auger issue, but I don't know what to do to fix it.

I have the stove on 5, and I never have this one higher than 2, and pellets are dropping out of it fine, but it's spitting them out like the stove is on 1. No matter what setting it's on it spits the same amount. There's no heat coming from it at all though. These are some extremely cold nights and I don't have the money to get someone here to look at it, will I need to get someone here or is there something I can do?

Thank you,

Is there a local stove shop you can get parts at along with some advice? How old is the unit? Under warranty?

A #3 light can be caused by several different issues. First make sure that your stove is cleaned. Open up the cleaning ports take off the combustion blower and run a brush down your venting system, that alone may fix the issue. Second time the feed cycle on the control board. it should have shorter off periods the higher the heat setting, make sure that the off time is lowering or the on time is increasing as you advance in heat levels. If the stove is producing no heat at al is it possible your pellets have gotten damp?

A #3 light can be caused by several different issues. First make sure that your stove is cleaned. Open up the cleaning ports take off the combustion blower and run a brush down your venting system, that alone may fix the issue. Second time the feed cycle on the control board. it should have shorter off periods the higher the heat setting, make sure that the off time is lowering or the on time is increasing as you advance in heat levels. If the stove is producing no heat at al is it possible your pellets have gotten damp?
I never knew you could run a brush down the vent system, how do you do that? Hopefully that will fix my issue!

The auger is staying on longer with the lights though, but it's not dropping enough pellets and it keeps shutting off.

The stove randomly started working the other night for a few hours, and now it's back to not working at all.

Thank you

Did you install the stove, inherit it with the house or have it installed? Usually, you need to clean the internal exhaust pathways and venting after every ton of pellets burned (40 bags). How is your exhaust venting set up (horizontal, vertical, elbows, clean-out tee)? Length and bends will determine what type of brush set-up you would need. I just have a 3' horizontal so I just bought a 3" brush and taped it to dowelling. There are rods that can be purchased to attach to the brushes but care needs to be used not to detach them in the process of cleaning.

I purchased a dryer lint brush from menards to help clean the internal pathways in the stove but it may not help with your stove configuration. I attach an old garden hose to a shop vac adapter and use a drywall bag on the shop vac. Make sure your stove ash has cold down well enough to avoid fire issues with the shop vac. If you use an ash vacuum, ensure the filter is clean.

Cleaning around the combustion blower can wait until you get the gasket. This is usually done once a year in the spring. Not sure how much the gaskets are - check with your local stove shop or contact Napoleon directly. There are other members who know of suppliers that may chime in.

Status
Not open for further replies.