Number 2 error on insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

McGrai37

Nov 16, 2014
Upstate NY
Hello, I have a Hudson River Stoveworks Davenport insert that’s been inoperable almost all winter. I’ve had trouble getting a repair man since the shop we bought it from is long since closed.

It worked fine at the beginning of the year but I came home one night and it was full but off. I started it again and I got the E2. I looked in the manual and cleaned the vac tube, jumped the switch and cleared the nozzles; all no luck. We found someone who would come out. I wasn’t home but they cleaned it (I thought I deep cleaned it yearly but apparently not deep enough) and it began to run.

Before the heating season I had run a brush up the liner but the store didn’t have enough rods to reach the top. A few days after the stove had started working I got new rods and ran them up to the top. Some creosote type material came out but all seemed normal. When I put the stove back I got the E2 error again and have since. The service company has not responded to my calls since (rural area, I paid my bill, don’t know why)

I’m at a loss of what steps to take next short of buying random parts or a new stove. I do want to try to leaf blow my vent pipe, but I feel like I have it pretty clean.

If the liner was the problem would the stove run if it wasn’t hooked up to the liner? Any ideas would be appreciated. I’m happy to answer questions if I’ve left anything important out.

Here is what the manual says for #2 code
4. Light # 2 on Heat output bar flashing (The Vacuum Switch contacts have opened for more than 15 sec.) Pinch, break or blockage in Vacuum Hose - Check hose for pinch points or damage, replace or re-route as required. Blow out Vacuum Hose Blocked Hose Barb on Exhaust Channel - Use a paper clip to clean out Hose Barb or remove the Vacuum Hose from the Vacuum Switch and blow into the hose to remove blockage. Blocked exhaust / venting system - Have stove and venting cleaned and inspected. Severe negative pressure in area where unit is installed - Check the operation by opening a window, does this solve the problem? If it does, install fresh air intake to unit or room. Venting system may require vertical section to move termination into a low pressure zone. Vacuum Switch failure - Bypass the vacuum switch, if this corrects the problem check for above problems before replacing the Vacuum Switch. Damage to gray wires between Circuit Board and Vacuum Switch - Inspect wires and connectors Combustion Blower failure - The Combustion Blower is not turning fast enough to generate the proper vacuum in the Exhaust Channel. Visual Check; is the blower motor turning? Check the Exhaust Blower voltage across the blower wires (>=114 V on #5 setting and >= 82 V on #1 setting). – Replace the Circuit Board if the Voltage reading is less than 82 V. with a line voltage >114 V AC. Check Vacuum levels in the exhaust channel by bypassing the vacuum switch, then remove the Vacuum hose from Vacuum Switch. Check exhaust vacuum readings by placing the open end of the Vacuum Hose on a Magnahelic Gauge. (readings must be above .10” W.C. on low fire). If the motor fails to reach a 0.10” W.C. readings, then replace the Combustion Blower To reset Circuit Board after a trouble code - push the ON/OFF button