Pellet Insert Runs When Not Hooked Up To Liner - Error When It Is

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

McGrai37

Nov 16, 2014
Upstate NY
I have a Hudson River Davenport pellet insert thats about 10 years old. Last year it gave us some trouble but I replaced the combustion blower and it seemed better. We got a different brand of pellets this year and it's been a real pain. Constant buildup, constant lazy flames, constantly cleaning.

We've mostly limped through the winter but the other day it built up really bad, into the feed chute. I turned it off and got to it yesterday, doing another deep clean of the liner. For the first time I had hard chunks of what I assume is creosote come out. The normal ash as well, but a handful of these little guys too. I started using creosote cleaning pellets this year so was hoping that was it working and knocking stuff loose.

Started it up no problem but still had a very lazy flame (usually I'd have a nice burn for a few days at least). So I turned it off to deep clean the inside as well. Decided I was ok with the lazy burn for the night because I couldn't get to it, and got an error code when starting it back up. Since then I've cleaned everything to the best of my ability, and still getting an error. The only thing is if I take the liner off the stove, or even leave the cleanout cap off it will stay on. I havent left it like that long enough to see if it will actually light and run, but it doesnt error trip. I assume this means it's an issue with my liner? Or could it be something else? I've run the brush up multiple times, not sure what else to try. Any help is appreciated.

Just off the top of my head, the chimney is plugged
or dam near plugged
Can you run a brush-up to the top or if you can get
to the top a brush down or maybe even the leaf blower trick

Just off the top of my head, the chimney is plugged
or dam near plugged
Can you run a brush-up to the top or if you can get
to the top a brush down or maybe even the leaf blower trick
I can, or at least whats normally be the top as far as I can tell from the amount of rods used. Its up a chimney in the middle of my two story house so hard to see if its up there for sure.

I can, or at least whats normally be the top as far as I can tell from the amount of rods used. Its up a chimney in the middle of my two story house so hard to see if its up there for sure.
Isn't there a cap on it? Just push the brush until you hit the cap

Reactions: johneh
I assume I'm hitting the cap based on how many rods I can usually push through, but I guess I always had in my head that you can't be sure if it's the cap or a blockage.

The Davenport was an insert and FS stove made by Sherwood industries (Enviro) for Hudson River, a quality unit. If the flame is lazy, look into it. It seems odd what you are describing, but its sounding like a partially/mostly blocked pellet exhaust liner. Are you getting a flashing two error? If so, I'd check the venting, espec if when taking the liner off (how did you discover that bit of info) and it burns normally. Look into it. Be safe.

Reactions: johneh
It appears to be a dirty exhaust fan/channel. I took that off, cleaned it and it worked for a bit before shutting off. I took it back off and focused on the nooks and crannies of the channel from the fan to the firebox and it has worked great since. I thought I kept my stove pretty clean but have never tinkered with that fan, so guess it was due. Maybe my burning issues this year weren't the pellets after all.

Glade you found your problem
A Clean Stove Is a Happy Stove

X2 on finding the cause. The exhaust path needs to be cleaned properly each season, along with burning high quality pellets. Glad you fixed her. Stay warm.

I have a Hudson River Davenport pellet insert thats about 10 years old. Last year it gave us some trouble but I replaced the combustion blower and it seemed better. We got a different brand of pellets this year and it's been a real pain. Constant buildup, constant lazy flames, constantly cleaning.

We've mostly limped through the winter but the other day it built up really bad, into the feed chute. I turned it off and got to it yesterday, doing another deep clean of the liner. For the first time I had hard chunks of what I assume is creosote come out. The normal ash as well, but a handful of these little guys too. I started using creosote cleaning pellets this year so was hoping that was it working and knocking stuff loose.

Started it up no problem but still had a very lazy flame (usually I'd have a nice burn for a few days at least). So I turned it off to deep clean the inside as well. Decided I was ok with the lazy burn for the night because I couldn't get to it, and got an error code when starting it back up. Since then I've cleaned everything to the best of my ability, and still getting an error. The only thing is if I take the liner off the stove, or even leave the cleanout cap off it will stay on. I havent left it like that long enough to see if it will actually light and run, but it doesnt error trip. I assume this means it's an issue with my liner? Or could it be something else? I've run the brush up multiple times, not sure what else to try. Any help is appreciated.
vacuum pressure switch / jump it for testing