'nuther question regards distance of CO Monitor from stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a Nighthawk COPP3 (plug in w/ battery) from Home Depot a few weeks ago. They had a deal with the CO detector and a smoke alarm in the same bubble pack for 30 bucks which was a good deal considering the detector alone sold for 40.

At any rate, Jake's advice is spot on according to my manual. I actually had mine detect 34ppm of CO the other night after emptying a large bucket of hot coals which was only in the house for the few moments between filling it up and emptying it outside.

My detector is around 20 feet away from any CO source and is about 1.5 feet off of the floor. I was glad to see the reading so I know its working.

http://www.amazon.com/Kidde-KN-COPP...N86A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1296774832&sr=8-2

Henk & Firefighter Jake,
I remember, years ago when my cap screen was plugged and the stove was puffin back on cold start-up, the smoke detectors would go off rather quickly. So that's why I say with my electric house the CO detection, may not be needed. Jake as you said the issue with a high levels of CO comes from natural gas, propane, car exhaust or oil burner exhaust get into the house. All very odorless. Knowing how the smoke detectors work, I wonder why these burning fuels wouldn't set off the smokes. Jake as you said you are a big fan of CO detectors, they detect the odorless killer. Even if there is no way the CO detector should go off, it's a good feeling to add a CO detector to the house, money well spent.

One thing about the CO detector, mine have a life, it stops working in 7 years after power up, then it chirps.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.